Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Short shifter impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Short shifter impressions

Hey all. I just installed the Neuspeed short shift kit. Install was a breeze, and the difference in throw is HUGE. When I put it into first gear for the first time, the distance was so much shorter that I actually thought something was wrong. Nope, just that close. As an added benefit, engaging the gears has a much more solid feel - kind of clicks in. Could be a bit notchy for some, but I love it. The only drawback I can think of (to be objective), is that the stick now requires a bit more force to move. It takes quite a bit more effort to pull the stick out of a gear than the stock setup. Again, for me it's a positive, but some may like a smoother transition. This mod plus the ECS insert, and shifting is sweeeeet!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Default RE: Short shifter impressions

Thanks for the review. How about quick sport shifting and synchro problems??? I'm very aggressive at times and worry about damaging the synchros.

Cheers!

Old 08-25-2007, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Chef > Re: sport shifting. I don't do it too often, so I wouldn't be a good judge. Because the stick is now considerably stiffer, it does takes more effort to move it. But with a little extra effort, and a greatly reduced distance, the next gear comes much quicker. I can definitely shift faster than stock.
As far as the synchros... the role of the synchros is a bit over my head technically. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they are worn when gears engauge roughly. If you are not familiar with what the aftermarket short shifter does on our cars, it replaces the forged part responsible for the geometric relationship between the shift cable(s) and the spline that moves the gears. It is not obvious to me how this would change how the gears actually engauge. I may be way off (I'm sure someone will tell me so), I just don't see how this would affect the synchros.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 PM

There are a couple problems with short shift kits. The first is how perfectly the part lines up with the OEM and allow the shift to take place "perfectly". If it aligns slightly off, but still works, then it wears the gearing/synchros more rapidly. The other problem is for those of us who shift more spiritedly. If it takes less throw to engage the gear, then the synchro stands a chance of not matching speed before the next gear is requested. I've contemplated this mod many times, but just don't want to mess up my tranny.

I'm just getting feedback before I decide on doing it.

Cheers!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

I have no idea how close the replacement part shifts compared to the OEM part. I don't even know how I would tell if the synchros / gears were engaging slightly off. I tend to double-clutch when I'm shifting both up and down to match the rpm. Even with the short throw, my goal is usually a smooth shift over a fast one. Hopefully that will help preserve the life of the trans. Wish I could be more helpful with the technical end. Maybe at the next SoCal GTG you can check it out.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:20 PM

Sounds great!

Cheers!