Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

shuddering on hard accel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 PM
1st Gear
Default shuddering on hard accel

So when I punch it from a stop, my tires shudder and its not a pleasant sound. Kind of like when an airplane lands rough, the first touchdown of the wheels the whole cabin shakes, the whole car shudders repeatedly until I gain speed. I am assuming this is the ESP working? Am I correct? Also is it bad for the car to accelerate like that?

Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: shuddering on hard accel

I think you are describing wheel hop, because the 2.0T FSI has a lot of torque, especially if you are "chipped." And yes, it is bad for the car.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

im pretty sure it's wheel hop and i knew it was no bueno para mi coche. its only happened like twice and I try to not let it happen. now I will be even more cautious. Any way this problem can be fixed through modding?

Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

Stop flooring it all the time

Old 11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

With traction control on all kinds of crazy **** happens when i get after it from a stop. Ive even had the engine dump power on me. But if shut off traction control....smooth sailing.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

as I said drum, its only happened to me twice and I am not in the business of flooring it everytime I start. But the urge is there ALL THE TIME, esp with chipage! Just gotta control those urges,

Old 11-29-2007, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

I have that urge too, and I'm still bone stock! Well at least for the next couple of weeks.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear

I'm gonna vote ESP. ESP uses your ABS sensors and pumps the brakes to whichever wheel is spinning. That is what causes the shudder, the constant pulsing of the brakes. When I turn ESP off, the wheels just spin for days, no shuddering.

Is this happening when you are going in a straight line or a turn?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, i fig'd it was the ESP. It does occur on straights BAMF. Before Chip my wheels would spin with ESP on, now they hop/shudder. I assumed it was the ESP dealing with the added torque. Now I will try driving with no ESP for a while, but no more flooring it for fun from a stop

Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear

Ah, forgot you were chipped (even though its in your sig right under my nose[&:]). My experience my not be applicable then, I'm (still) stock.

Quick Reply: shuddering on hard accel