Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Sirius radio flakey?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Sirius radio flakey?

What are other people's experience with this? I just got my A3 about a month ago. I hate how it cuts out everytime I drive under a bridge... annoying, but I understand the technological limitation. My beef is that it cuts out when it's cloudy out, or I drive down the street with a tree on it, or today, on the open highway, blue sky, not an obstruction in sight. Really freaking annoying. I enjoy satallite TV, OTA HDTV, and all forms of streaming media without issue,but the implementation of Sirius appears to be seriously flawed.

Does anyone else experience this, or might I have a bad tuner / antannae?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Sirius radio flakey?

ORIGINAL: mattrazzo

What are other people's experience with this? I just got my A3 about a month ago. I hate how it cuts out everytime I drive under a bridge... annoying, but I understand the technological limitation. My beef is that it cuts out when it's cloudy out, or I drive down the street with a tree on it, or today, on the open highway, blue sky, not an obstruction in sight. Really freaking annoying. I enjoy satallite TV, OTA HDTV, and all forms of streaming media without issue,but the implementation of Sirius appears to be seriously flawed.

Does anyone else experience this, or might I have a bad tuner / antannae?
Its microwave, under bridges, trees and other obstructions it does cut out. Without any obstructions there could be some antenna directivity/gain issues with the roof antenna. The main question is where in the sky is the satellite in reference to your location. For example in Southern California it would be north and east in the sky. The cut out could be caused by the direction of your travel versus your antenna gain for a particular angle. Note with satellite TV your high gain antenna is not mobile and is pointed at a specific point in the sky.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

Yeah Sirius radio kind of sucks I've noticed too. I had XM for five years in 2 different cars prior to getting my A3 and I never had a problem. It’s really annoying, but it’s still better then listening to regular radio. I don't know if it’s the car that causes it to cut in and out or if Sirius just has crappy satellites. I'm hoping after XM and Siriusmerge it will get better (probably not though)[&o].

Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

It does explain a few things because it cuts out every time I turn into our residence and I hate seeing this 'linking' [:@]. There are a lot of trees and it definitely makes obstruction. My 3 months are almost out and I cannot see myself getting the service. I like the radio and on longer trek,I have CDs so bye bye sirius.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: olivier

It does explain a few things because it cuts out every time I turn into our residence and I hate seeing this 'linking' [:@]. There are a lot of trees and it definitely makes obstruction. My 3 months are almost out and I cannot see myself getting the service. I like the radio and on longer trek, I have CDs so bye bye sirius.
It would be nice if the radio went back to the original demo mode (13 free channels) after 3 month full demo. For those long drives its a nice bonus.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Skeebs

Yeah Sirius radio kind of sucks I've noticed too. I had XM for five years in 2 different cars prior to getting my A3 and I never had a problem. It’s really annoying, but it’s still better then listening to regular radio. I don't know if it’s the car that causes it to cut in and out or if Sirius just has crappy satellites. I'm hoping after XM and Sirius merge it will get better (probably not though)[&o].
The merging of XM and Sirius will never happen. Too much of a FCC consumer issue/regulation. Interesting tidbit is that Sirius has 3 satellites orbiting, which allows you to receive it from Mexico to Canada (Full coverage). XM has 2 satellites, which means you need a view of the southern sky.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JohnS1
It would be nice if the radio went back to the original demo mode (13 free channels) after 3 month full demo. For those long drives its a nice bonus.
I should have checked the forum before getting the car and not after...[:@][:@][:@] That is exactly what I would have done. I am going to try to drop a 'subtle' hint at the other local Audi dealership, they seem a little more open...
To be honest, what grinds my gearis why you have to pay extra for a radio that requires you to purchase a monthly plan in order to use that benefit, makes no sense to me, they should pay me [free would work too... Can't ask for too much] to install the radio so that I pay for their service, no?

By the way, no HD Radio on Audi?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

The radios occasionally cut in & out under heavy tree cover, but I suppose that is to be expected with the technology. On the open highway signals remain very strong and clear. As far as costs, there is no silly commercial interruptions on the music channels, so the money required to keep the satellites aloft and pay Howard Stern's salary is borne by the subscriber base. The customizable weather/traffic settings is also nice.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays
The radios occasionally cut in & out under heavy tree cover, but I suppose that is to be expected with the technology. On the open highway signals remain very strong and clear.
Well... not true in my case. It cuts out on the open highway, blue sky for me. I understand that it can't keep a lock when you go through a tunnel, but being tolerant of small drops in signal should be expected when I'm sending them a check every month for the service. Living in a metro area, I find myself being annoyed by it enough I go to FM so I can have a "clean" signal.

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays
As far as costs, there is no silly commercial interruptions on the music channels...
No commercials, but you still get the annoying DJs rambling on about thier personal life, or lack thereof. I'd love to get MusicChoice in my car. Maybe when WiMax becomes more pervasive...

Old 05-30-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mattrazzo
No commercials, but you still get the annoying DJs rambling on about thier personal life, or lack thereof.
+1 - most annoying - IMO

Quick Reply: Sirius radio flakey?