Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Space in A3 vs A4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Space in A3 vs A4?

i dont thing the 2.0 Q will be coming anytime soon.And a question as I just don't know, but it seems as though the Q would not be as fuel efficient as the 2.0 because its providing power to all wheels. Am I correct in saying that?

Old 02-08-2008, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear

Based on various information posted, it sounds like 2.0TQ on the A3 will not be happening in the US until the A3 receives a refresh (2009/2010), and even then it's a maybe. If you really need quattro, look into the 3.2 A3.

brodie- you are correct, quattro will diminish the fuel economy, however it won't be by much. The A3 doesn't use the traditional quattro system, it uses a Haldex system which operates FWD most of the time and only engages the rear wheels when slipping.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Thanks BAMF!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

My 3.2 is averaging 22.5 mpg per tank with mixed driving, if that helps.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

[align=left]OK first the sticks can be pushed through the rear arm rest if you would have a problem there. Here is also another option that would fix all that and your want of quattro with the 2.0T. Go with the A4 Avant its a wagon instead of a hatchback but kinda looks like a slightly bigger A3. You will have the room you are used to with your S4 but you will get a lot more space with this option. Plus the Quattro system is offered and obviously you will want 6MT since the only option on the A3 not on the A4 is the DSG tranny. If you have a power issue do to a bit heavier car then the A3 spend the $$ on getting it "Chipped" get that power back and not lose that much on MPG's(or should I say KPL(Kilometers Per Liter) since your in Canada) Which ever way you go you should be happy.
[/align][align=center] [/align]

Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

When they gonna make an RS4 avant!! Not that ill be able to afford it but I've always loved the a4 and s4 avants but they are just above my range. I'd at least like to dream of the rs4 avant.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: redsox12

ORIGINAL: cshecks

Well, I had an 05.5 A4 2.0T Quattroand now i have an A3 3.2 Quattro S-lineand really the A3 has much more functional space........the hatchback is really pretty versitile and I would never go back to the A4 sedanfor that reason alone. As for interior room for passengers it seems about the same. I am 6' 1" about 210 lbs (solid muscle...not really) and have a pretty big family -- and most of them think that the A3 is just as roomy as my A4 was, front as well as back seat. I can pack in 4 regular size(all 6 foot and above)adults and everyone is fairly comfy just like in the a4. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.
cshecks: I am looking at the A3 3.2 S, but have not test driven yet. I am coming out of the same car you were. What are your pros/cons with the experience of going from A4 2.0T to A3 3.2 S? Thanks

[/quote]

Hey redsox12.....ok, so here are the basic diffs: A3 3.2 vs the A4 2.0T. Pro's for the A3: the HAtch, engine, overall driving experience, versitility. It's not quite as nicely finished as the a4 was, but i dont really care, the 3.2 v6 is fricken sweet and has a very nice growl to it. Very similiar cars really, you dont give up any interior room for passengers, you do give up a passenger power seat. I would buy the A3 again over the A4 ten times out of ten. Also, i like to take my dog around to the park and stuff so the hatch w/ the rubber floormat is really usefull for keeping the rest of your car in pristine shape, as well as it's really easy to load up lots of stuff at costco. Overall its more fun to drive, much more practical, and I cannot stress the 3.2 enough, i love it.

Pro's for the A4 -- it has the true quattro instead of the haldex like the A3 has. You will notice a bit of diff. driving in rain and snow, but the haldex is still very very good and better than no AWD at all. That really is the only pro in my book. Like i said earlier, the a4 is a little more luxurious as well.

go drive it, it will sell itself. i promise. i test drove like 5 cars in one day and the only one that came close was the bmw 328xi, and it was slower and much less versitile but much more $$$.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BAMF

Based on various information posted, it sounds like 2.0TQ on the A3 will not be happening in the US until the A3 receives a refresh (2009/2010), and even then it's a maybe. If you really need quattro, look into the 3.2 A3.

brodie- you are correct, quattro will diminish the fuel economy, however it won't be by much. The A3 doesn't use the traditional quattro system, it uses a Haldex system which operates FWD most of the time and only engages the rear wheels when slipping.
i am not sure thats completely true...i believe the haldex in the 3.2 A3 and TT is 85% front and 15% rear....and slippage doesNOT have to occur for power/torque transfer .... http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/t...x__clutch.html

please correct me if i am wrong

Old 02-09-2008, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

People are usually stunned to find out that an A3 has as much room as an A4. No magic, just that an A3 has a transverse engine vs a longitudinal mount in the A4, allowing a more compact package. As for the V6 Quattro A3, it weighs more than a 5-Series BMW. The 2.0T gets 25MPG in the city and about 33 on the highway (mine does, anyway). as for traction, ESP helps is nasty weather, but if it's performance you're after, then adding a Peloquin or Quaife differential is the way to go.

ESP feathers the throttle and brakes coming out of a corner as your front inside wheel loses traction. A torque-sensing diff will keep that from happening. The ESP working with the TSD will prevent the problem with TSDs as a torque multiplier:0 x anything = 0. In that case the ESP will intervene to keep things rolling.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: redsox12

Well, I had an 05.5 A4 2.0T Quattroand now i have an A3 3.2 Quattro S-lineand really the A3 has much more functional space........the hatchback is really pretty versitile and I would never go back to the A4 sedanfor that reason alone. As for interior room for passengers it seems about the same. I am 6' 1" about 210 lbs (solid muscle...not really) and have a pretty big family -- and most of them think that the A3 is just as roomy as my A4 was, front as well as back seat. I can pack in 4 regular size(all 6 foot and above)adults and everyone is fairly comfy just like in the a4. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.
cshecks: I am looking at the A3 3.2 S, but have not test driven yet. I am coming out of the same car you were. What are your pros/cons with the experience of going from A4 2.0T to A3 3.2 S? Thanks
Hey redsox12.....ok, so here are the basic diffs: A3 3.2 vs the A4 2.0T. Pro's for the A3: the HAtch, engine, overall driving experience, versitility. It's not quite as nicely finished as the a4 was, but i dont really care, the 3.2 v6 is fricken sweet and has a very nice growl to it. Very similiar cars really, you dont give up any interior room for passengers, you do give up a passenger power seat. I would buy the A3 again over the A4 ten times out of ten. Also, i like to take my dog around to the park and stuff so the hatch w/ the rubber floormat is really usefull for keeping the rest of your car in pristine shape, as well as it's really easy to load up lots of stuff at costco. Overall its more fun to drive, much more practical, and I cannot stress the 3.2 enough, i love it.

Pro's for the A4 -- it has the true quattro instead of the haldex like the A3 has. You will notice a bit of diff. driving in rain and snow, but the haldex is still very very good and better than no AWD at all. That really is the only pro in my book. Like i said earlier, the a4 is a little more luxurious as well.

go drive it, it will sell itself. i promise. i test drove like 5 cars in one day and the only one that came close was the bmw 328xi, and it was slower and much less versitile but much more $$$.
[/quote]

Thanks bud. Yea, I test drove a 335xi the other day. It was unbelievable. Unfortunately the new A4's are just too slow IMO. But it does not mean that they are not beautiful cars.It will prob come down to a decision between A3 3.2 Q and 335xi. I'll have to wait to test drive the A3. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Space in A3 vs A4?