Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Speedometer error revisited

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Speedometer error revisited

Hi All,

Has anyone ever used the speed warning indicator in the driver infomation display??

I wrote in this forum a few weeks ago abouta supposed error between my speedometer reading and a portable radar unit. Well, most of the posted explanations were that these units are purposely set higher to encourage a lower speed by displaying a higher one.At the time it seemed reasonable to me, butI have always had the uneasy feeling that my speedometer was wrong.

I finally got around to setting the speed warning indicator as mentioned above andset it at75 mph, when the warning signal went off, my speedometer was reading 79. Whenthe alarmwas set at 80, my speedometer reading was 86.

Has anyone had a similar experience?? If you haven't tried it, would a few give it a try and post your results?

Also, is there a way to calibrate a speedometer or do any of you know of a type ofshop that could do it?? This is aggravating me to no end.!!

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Speedometer error revisited

I have never set my speed warning indicator....guess I always watch the speedometer.
Are you comparing your warning indicator to analog speedometer reading or to the digital speedometer reading in same display?
This speed warning indicator setting function if not accurate would be covered under your warrenty, a trip back to the dealer would be warranted. They can check speed functionality up to legal speed, not 75 or 80 MPH verfication BTW.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

I am comparing the analogspeedometer reading to the set speed alarm which I set via the controls on the wiper lever.
My Driver Info Display does NOT show a digital speed reading in the display. How do you activate it?? I have checked the manual and it does not mention it.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Threeputt

I am comparing the analog speedometer reading to the set speed alarm which I set via the controls on the wiper lever.
My Driver Info Display does NOT show a digital speed reading in the display. How do you activate it?? I have checked the manual and it does not mention it.
You mentioned you have premium option, well you should have trip computer. If so when you press button at base of windshield wiper you switch from mileage 2 to mileage 1 to digital speed shown then menu and then back to mileage 2.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

John S1,
I have the premium option and I have followed your suggestion and still cannot get a digital readoutof real time MPH. Maybe there is a difference between 2006 and 2007 models. When (following the manual closely) I access the Diver Info Display, my options are: driving time, average MPG, average speed, real time MPG is computer 1 and 2 modes. The difference is 1 is for current trip/time and 2 is for anaccumulated trip/time. Of course miles to empty is shown as well. I really wish I had a digital readout of MPH!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

On page 30 of the 2007 A3 Owners manual it talks about digital speedometer. Does anyone with a 2006 A3 have this feature?

Old 02-25-2007, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

John S1,

There seems to be a difference between the years. My owners manual on page 30 references "Electro-mechanical steering". No mention of digital speedometer anywhere in the manual.
Concerning the speed warning system, I did find, in very small print, a notation thats says the speed warning system will sound at 6 mph OVER the selected speed. What good is that. Around here that can be enough for a speeding ticket. I guess you must read the manual word for word. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:56 AM

I feel your pain with speedo being off. I have access to a radar and found that my 2007 A4 2.0 T is off about 4-5 mph depending onwhat speed I am going. I also noticed that the odometer is off to. According to the mileage on the driver display compared to the odometer is about a 220 mile difference in about 2400 miles.
This is quiet frustrating and pisses me off, I didn't spend this much money on a new car to have a speedo and odometer that is off alot. You hear the name Audi and expect quality and tight tolerances. yeah right...[:@]
But Audi allows a 10% difference, what a joke.
If anyone knows how to correct this please let us know.
Out of the cars I driven certainChevys,Fords & Hondas are all within 2 mph and the new Civics and Crown Vics are accurate without error(well maybeone halfmph)
I know over in Germany they have a device you can adjust the odometer with, but it's in Europe not hear[&o]

Old 03-10-2007, 03:41 AM
1st Gear

Hi All-

If you have a measured and documented mile, you could use a wristwatch with a tachymeter function to verify speed.

~ Blue Jays ~

Old 03-10-2007, 04:15 AM
1st Gear

One could also use a GPS that will show MPH to compare with the onboard speedometer. The exaggerated speed also gets one past the warranty limits quicker :-(

Quick Reply: Speedometer error revisited