Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Still tweaking the Revo - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Still tweaking the Revo - advice?

A few weeks ago, I got the Revo 93 octane load for my 3.2. Performance increased but I ended up losing around 3mpg in town and highway. The dealer has since adjusted timing, which may have helped mileage slightly, but some performance had to be pulled back (no bueno). Anyone know how this software works in terms of what adjustments are made and which of them can affect mileage?

Was also told there's a chance something unrelated to the flash may have gone bad and is affecting mileage, but no CEL and no errors logged from my ECU.

I am trying to avoid playing 20 questions with the dealer, as he has been tweaking after his work hours. Plus every trip there is 40 miles round trip,during rush hour.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Still tweaking the Revo - advice?

My guy told me that REVO is not supposed to increase your gas mileage, but decrease it a little. Since your car isnt turbo charged I am not sure what REVO would do to affect your mileage. I know my friend has one of those programmers that let you tweak your chip and he set his car a little over its limits and had problems but as long as you stay within your cars limits I think you will be fine.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

I didn't know we couldexceed the limits. I was told that the stock mapping is still there, and it will override any settings that push the engine too far. I just gotthe standard 93 reflash, then some timing got pulled out when my mileage wasn't good...the guy said there's still a lot of flexibility in the settings that's well within the engine's limits. I imagine there's just as much flexibility as with the 2.0, just with a MUCH narrower spectrum of results.

I really want this chip, but not 10-15 hp/10-12 torqueat the expense of 3+ MPG, ya know?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Yea, since my cars turbo im getting 40+ HP and Torque and I paid like $450 for it. I imagine you paid the same with not as dramatic results. Im sure you can definatly notice the better timing but I think you should get more HP for the money you paid.

Also a little off topic, what made you choose to go with the Milltek exhaust?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

Ehh, actually noncommittal with an exhaust...Haven't upgraded yet, but so far Milltek's the only one I've heard for the 3.2.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

i think if you want to increase your loss of mpg, then perhaps decrease the fuel setting?!? IIRC, i'm set to 8-5-5 on my 3.2

honestly, if you're gonna do chip, exhaust, etc...don't plan on gaining any mpg, just losing it.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 AM
1st Gear

Krazyboi,

You are right when chipping a non-turbo car...less MPG...but with a turbo I have increased my mileage and performance! (TDI engine)

Old 05-15-2008, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Not sure what the settings are right now (got them tweaked again 3 days ago, but I'm waiting for an email back, for my own knowledge). I noticed much of the problem had been that the settings had brought my highway mileage down from 20-26 depending on speed, surface, etc.,to a constant 20-21.5.

So problem appears now to be solved. Went back for another drive and more extensive data logging, got a few tweaks and now I've got about the same gains with an overall increase in mileage. In town is a bit worse than stock, as expected, but highway is 2+ mpg better than stock, even above 70 mph.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

I don't think 3.2, AWD,V6,chipped should be in the same sentence with gas milage. If I really cared that much about mpg, I wouldn't have bought a 3.2 in the first place, let alone chipping it.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

I seem to have achieved that, nonetheless! [8D]

Well, in all honesty, what bugged me was a combination of $4per gallonand suddenly losing 3-4mpg with a mod that only gives marginal gains. This is actually the first vehicle I've owned that breaks 20mpg. My WRX usually got around 19 and my old Isuzu Rodeoaveraged 17.

Quick Reply: Still tweaking the Revo - advice?