Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Stock stereo - steering wheel controls for presets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Stock stereo - steering wheel controls for presets?

Hey all,

Did a search and didn't find anything on this, and it's not mentioned in the manual either. I have the base Audi Symphony stereo, and assume the case is the same for the Bose. Is there a way to use the steering wheel controls to jump from preset to preset? Seem like you can only 'scroll' up and down to tune the stations, and clicking the button works as a seek feature. Any way to use the buttons to jump through the presets only? Also, is there a way to use the steering wheel controls to changes modes? Mine only toggles between Bluetooth and radio, not CD (no iPod or Sirius on my ride, so can't speak for those). It also doesn't allow you to toggle through FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2. Anything I'm missing? If not, seems like very limited functionality.

TIA

Old 09-30-2007, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Stock stereo - steering wheel controls for presets?

WHAT are you talking about- the left wheel scrolls presets on sat and radio, tracks on CD.A push on it goes to the next station, not preset.If it doesn't work this way, something is amiss.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

When a CD is playing, yes, it can scroll through the tracks with the left scroll wheel. My issue isI can't scroll through the presets on the radio. Scrolling the thumbwheelonly scrolls the radio like a tune function (ie 98.7 --> 98.9 --> 99.1). Pressing the scroll wheel only serves to scan the stations. I'm not sure why I can't use the scroll wheel to just go through my presets instead, either by rolling the button or pressing it. I'd rather keep my eyes on the road when I want to scan through my presets. This forces me to look down at the stereo to find what I'm looking for instead. I'm also not able to use the buttons to access the CD player when there is a disc in the slot. Instead, the Mode button will only give me access to the phone and the radio. I'm not sure if that's something that can be changed in the sub-menus on the stereo - if so I couldn't find out how to do it.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

That's correct for the mode button - switching between radio modes has to be done on the radio itself.
I'll check my radio out in the morning - you've definitely got something screwy with your setup.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

I have two complaints about the base Symphony stereo - one that I can't change modes with the steering wheel. Two, that two of the four buttons do NOTHING if I don't have the bluetooth phone feature.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

I have the same complaint on my new 2008 A4... I figured it would work just like my 2006, but it doesn't. More information on this thread

[:@]

Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

I have an '07 with Nav and mine does the same thing. I mostly get around it by pressing "Memory" when I'm on the radio screen, which takes you to the list of presets. Then the wheel scrolls through the presets (but in a different way than the next/back buttons on the radio itself!).

Kind of screwed if you have the map or telephone screens up though, because then you revert to just seeking. Worse, with mixed presets between FM and Sirius (which is good!), if you switch screens you seek on whatever radio type the last preset you were on happened to be. Then when you switch back to the Memory screen and scroll, you either start over at the beginning of the list if you were on a non-preset station when you changed or pick up at some random place in the list if you happened to have landed on a different preset while you were seeking.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 PM

As someone else in another forum recommended, call Audi customer care at 1-888-237-2834 to complain about this problem. The more of us that complain, the more likely it is that something will be done. Tell them that you are unhappy about the loss of being able to scroll through presets from the steering wheel and that you would like them to fix it or upgrade the audio system to correct this problem if possible. Have them open a ticket for you so that your complaint is logged in their system.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

Audi doesn't make the radio - calling to lodge a complaint is definitely a good idea, but don't do it in expectation of actually getting a "fix" - they'll probably be able to get the stereo mfr to resolve it for the next year (2009 or 2010 models) but of course by then the radio would probably change anyhow.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

I am in the same boat. I don't have BT or Nav but I do have the iPod adapter in the glovebox. I can only scroll through the stations with the left steering wheel controller just as I would do by turning the Tune ****. Scrolling through the presets seems like a no-brainer for that control, it's almost as though something was left out or a setting was hooked up incorrectly.

Quick Reply: Stock stereo - steering wheel controls for presets?