Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Test drive impressions of an A3 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Test drive impressions of an A3 3.2

I went and test drove a private sale 2006 A3 3.2 today.

I must say I was disappointed. It seemed to have a hiccup or lag when starting from zero. Also, it was unable to aggressively get up to speed when needing to pass other vehicles in the 35mph range. Don't get me wrong, it had good power but was notmeet my expectations. A little slower, a little more sluggish than I would have expected.

Rear seat room was less than I remembered. I have two girls (4 and 7) who will need to sit back there and I think it may be too tight. Also, this car was black and had noticable swirl marks on the hood and a couple of scratches in the rear. Not to mention, he'd scraped a few of his wheels. Interior was immaculate.

Anyways, based on that, I think I'm going to continue my focus on a 330 or 335 BMW.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Test drive impressions of an A3 3.2

I havent driven the 3.2 but when I drove the 2.0T I was thoroughly impressed with ever aspect of the engine. The engine pulled hard when passing and from a dig it usually spun the tires. Overall it had a smooth power band and I loved it.

If you look at the 3 series I would imagine you would like the A4 more than the A3 mainly because the 3 series and the A4's are competitors. The A4 is also a little bigger than the A3 so the back seat space might meet your fancy.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Anyone have 30-50 or in-gear passing times comparing the 3.2 to the 2.0T DSGs?

I'm thinking that the 2.0T, though down 50 hp, probably has very close or maybe better in-gear speeds.

If you are looking to move up from the A3, and want to stay used in the Bimmers look for a E90 325i or 328i.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 AM

I actually drove the A3 3.2 around the track the other day and, other than the Quattro, I was kinda disappointed compared to the 2.0T. But, I'm so used to the modified 2.0T now, I might have been a little more harsh of a critic. FWIW, if you chip the A3 2.0T, it will be much quicker, in all aspects, to any of the bimmers, other than the 335i or M series. So as far as value is concerned, the 2.0T is definitely the best bet.

Having said all of that, I tote around 3 kids in mine without a problem and they range in age from 6-9. I wouldn't want to go on a driving vacation with everyone in this car, but no problems moving around town.

The bimmer's are very nice cars, but I think you might have not looked at the correct Audi. Just my thoughts.

Cheers!

Old 11-17-2007, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

I'm looking at a e90 335i, close to pulling the trigger on it.

I'm not a big A4 fan. They seem to depreciate quite a bit more than the A3 and the bimmers. They're all over the place also. I prefer cars a little more rare, partly because I like driving something that not everyone else has and they seem to sell better as well when I get ready to sell. That's one reason why I like the A3.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 AM

The 335i is a hot car. I don't think you'd be disappointed with that choice at all.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

With the 3.2, if you don't floor it, it will take its time from a dig. The haldex doesn't engage unless it sense slip or a need for acceleration. If you WOT from a stop, it will feel different. Of course, with the haldex controller upgade, it will make it even better. Having said that, 335 is definitely a nice car. If there wasn't one on every corner around here, that would have been my choice. Then again, can't wait till the B8 S4... return of the twin turbo.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

Mine has the DSG and the only hic cup I noticed is that the tranny sometimes has a lag when youquickly goose it from a stop. If you want to launch without any problems, either gently engage the throttle while in the auto mood or switch tomanual mode to ensure instant response for the launch. The computer programming is very good, but probably not programmed for everypossible human action.

When underway, the response is the best of any car I have owned, including thegreat 2001 330i and the noisy 2005 WRX. I think the WRX might have been slightly quicker, but the torque and responseof the 3.2 outweigh that IMHO.I have not taken any of these cars on the track. I think track driving and street driving are two different worlds.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

I have no problems launching my A3....just give it some gas, drop the clutch and off it goes...

Old 11-18-2007, 01:29 PM

With extensive mods, you need only tach around 3k rpm's before releasing the clutch, or you'll end up with too much wheel spin. As is, you'll need very sticky tires and a sensitive enough right foot to keep traction through first and second gears.

The manual tranny is much quicker than the DSG in our A3 if you have a little talent. At least, until the A3 gets launch control.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Test drive impressions of an A3 3.2