Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Are these problems connected?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Default Are these problems connected?

I drive a 2006 A3 automatic with close to 41,000 miles on it. A few days ago the car lost power while I was driving, and I couldn't restart the car (it would turn slightly, but not start). I had the car towed to the dealer, and the next morning they were able to start, although it sounded and felt rough (vibrating and rumbling). However they found nothing when they ran a diagnostic, and when test driving the car, to use their wording, "it suddenly jolted and kicked, and then the car ran smooth". They didn't have any explanation as to what had happened.

I picked the car up yesterday, and it rides like it used to, but now the air condition doesn't work. It just blows hot air. But it was working fine before the car broke down. Could the air condtion problem be related to the reason why my car lost power/stalled a few days ago?

I am taking the car back to the dealer this afternoon. Considering they never figured out why the car broke down in the first place, I wanted to give them specific potential problems to look into. Any help would be really appreciated.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Are these problems connected?

hmmm that sucks I have no real advice other than (assuming it is under warranty): make sure your dealer takes care of all the problems don't settle for being content make sure it runs like the day you drove it off the lot.

That being said the title of this post got me thinking (caution)

Things I associate with my A3:

-Fun I have while driving
-Random women coming up and complimenting me on my ride
-Following the price of premium gas
-Being the one to drive friends around
-A desire to get off work early for the drive home
-A desire to find the twistiest mountain road within an hour drive

This is just the tip of the iceburg I am sure...Anyone else think of any others

Sorry to threadjack you

Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM

No worries - as long as somebody out there can provide any insight to my original post.

I will be taking my car to the dealer in an hour. If the two problems end up being connected, I'll come back here and post the details for future reference.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

I am not sure what caused your cars loss of power but your A/C problem is probably that your compressor broke which is common on A3's (happened to mine). Since its been replaced I have not had any problems.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

The a/c compressor could have seized up from the heat caused by it going bad. You towed it to the dealer and the compressor had time to cool and the metal contract. It started up, heated up, started to seize again (putting more strain on the engine and then something in it finally broke getting rid of the strain on the motor and now the car runs like normal again. That's the only way I can connect the two systems. I would have thought the belt to the A/C compressor would have started smoking or squealing or something to give you an indication though. Good luck with finding the real reason.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

My compressor went bad as well. It did not cause any running problems when it did however.