Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Thinking of trading in my A6 for an A3

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Thinking of trading in my A6 for an A3

Hello everyone! I currently drive a 2003 A6 3.0 with 52k miles on the clock. I have had the car for 4 months now. I love everything in the car except that it is not much fun to drive. So now I am thinking of trading in my A6 for a 2006 or 2007 A3 with low miles (<30,000). I will turn 26 in a couple of months and I am single. I don't really need to be driving a big car like the A6, I want something more fun and practical that I can drive around in crowded Houston and its freeways. I don't see many Audis around here, let alone A3s, so it will be cool to be driving something unique. Oh and yeah, I want something with a better gas mileage than the A6 which gives me around 18 mpg.

I am looking to get a CPO A3 for around 22-23k, I can't afford anything more than that. What do you A3 experts think? Should I jump ship?

Thanks for your inputs!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Default RE: Thinking of trading in my A6 for an A3

Yeah!

A6 = old man car

A3 [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Totally

Dude

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

Jump your "ship" for a speedboat. You'll love the A3.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

My suggestion is to determine how much these "vehicle experiments" are going to cost before making the decision. Flip-flopping cars every couple of months can grow to be a very expensive proposition.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays

My suggestion is to determine how much these "vehicle experiments" are going to cost before making the decision. Flip-flopping cars every couple of months can grow to be a very expensive proposition.
He only had the A6 for two months?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

@Blue Jays & aoh35:

I have had the A6 3.0 since March '07. I had just got out of grad school and had a new job, so I bought the A6 as a present to myself. I have to admit I didn't do much research before buying the A6, all I knew was that I wanted a German car and saw this 2003 A6 for $17,000 with 46,500 miles at that time and jumped for it.

Since then I have spent a lot of time researching the Audis on this forum and others, and have come to love them. I have also realized that the A6 is the car I want to be driving 7-10 years down the line, but not right now. I want to get a low miles A3 and once I get it, I will keep it for a while. Having said that, this time I won't rush into buying an A3 just for the heck of it. I will keep looking for a good deal and try to learn more about the car and its quirks here.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:49 AM
1st Gear

Saint

A3s are great cars. If you want good MPG, don't buy a 3.2 and I would suggest you consider the 2 litre as this will be quick, can be modded easily if you want to

Old 07-21-2007, 06:42 AM
2nd Gear

Make the move, you will not regret it. Your age, single from an A6 to an A3 is for sure a great move.
Keep in mind if you go with a 2.0T you will loose that luxury feel of the A6 in the way the car drives, a little tighter in the turns etc.
The interior is very nice in these A3 comparable to the A6. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Agreed. If the mileage on your A6 (is that highway or city) bugs you, the A3 3.2 won't do you much better. It is fairly efficient (in the city anyway) for a high output V6, but its got nothing on the 2.0T. I'm getting around 20 city (which is good), but only 23-25 highway (notflat around here)@ 75. A friend with a 2.0T routinely gets city mileage at or better than my highway mileage andtops 30 on the same highways.Even though the A3is a lighter car than the A6,the 3.2IS a bigger engine too(the combination of which makes me happy, but not the gas bill), so you shouldn't expect fantastic improvements in mileage.

If AWD is important to you because of weather conditions, you may consider waiting a bitif you're going to take a big loss on the A6, since you can't get quattro in the 2.0T and the 3.2 isn't going to save you a whole lot in the way of gas. There are rumors (aren't there always) that a 2.0T with quattro may come around (my dealer said late '08 was what they'd heard and there is the refresh in 2010). So if quattro is a deal breaker for you, see if you can live with the A6 a while longer to see what comes down the pike. It IS a boat, especially compared to the A3, but it isn't a barge and they are still nice cars. It isn't like you're trying to wait it out in a Civic or a PT Cruiser.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:23 PM

You don't need AWD in Houston. The A6 is a nice car, and more practical for hauling around 4+ people, if you do that a lot. And its mileage isn't that much worse than the 6 cyllinder A3.

I'd recommend sticking with what you have, rather than spending more money to downgrade.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in my A6 for an A3