Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

TIP vs DSG

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear
Default TIP vs DSG

What exactly is the difference between the two? Doesn't the GTI use the DSG, does the A3 not havea Tip option I know my A6 uses Tip and it dosen't seem too bad?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: TIP vs DSG

The A3 uses the exact same DSG as the GTI.

I think the main difference between tiptronic and DSG is that tiptronic is an automatic that allows you to change gears, but the mating between the engine and the wheels still goes through a torque converter. It is precisely the torque converter that can give automatics that distinctly mushy feel, and in terms of tiptronic, slower shift times compared to DSG. DSG was developed after tiptronic and it does away with the torque converter. There is a dual clutch system that engages the gears with a direct connection between engine and running wheels. This contributes to DSG's incredible upshit times, better responsiveness (ie. a DSG A3 is faster in accelerating than a manual A3, all other things being equal), more fun driving, (the shift times are more predictable, instant on upshifts, and super quick on downshifts, whereas when I drive a tiptronic and flip the paddle, it feels like a 'request' that the car will do once it's ready. push the up paddle on the DSG, the transmission shifts RIGHT then.) Another plus of DSG is that it gives better fuel mileage because there is no torque converter to eat up power.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

TPE pretty much summed it up. Just asked my buddy this question the other day. Why is the DSG only in the A3's and Jetta, Rabbits. Come to find out that the DSG transmission was only desinged for East West facing engines. They are currently working on a DSG transmission for the Transvers mounted engines.(that with the true Quattro would be so sweet) So right now the Tiptronic transmission is your basic slush box that you can manualy sift but don't get the WONDERS of the DSG(sportronic as they are trying to call it now).

Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 PM
2nd Gear

To sum it up, a tiptronic is an automatic that allows the driver to select a gear with a conventional torque converter. The DSG is a true manual transmission that is controlled by hydraulics rather than your foot with a clutch petal. Manuals are faster which result in the quicker shifts. I really dont think the DSG has that much of an mpg improvement over a Tip. The reason why the A3 gets better mileage than the A4 is that it is lighter (without quattro) and the 2.0 is direct injection which is the primary reason. Critics where disappointed Audi put a standard tip in the new RS6 rather than the newer DSG. Also a DSG is the same type of gear box F1 cars use which allows the quick shifts if you listen to them on the track.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Woodhead2k
Critics where disappointed Audi put a standard tip in the new RS6 rather than the newer DSG.
I believe the DSG has a limit to how much torque it can handle and the RS6 well exceeds that amount.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

Exactly but it would easily be solved with stronger clutches/hydraulics.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:56 AM
Gew
1st Gear
Question

Sorry for an old thread resurrection, but hey..
I'm just choosing between two Audi A4s, one with Tiptronic and one with DSG!
Which one is more reliable, you think, honestly now?
I want my gearbox to last at least two decades, before it kicks the bucket!