Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

TIre Noise Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear
Default TIre Noise Help.

Ever since I brought the car for the 25,000 miles check a couple of weeks ago, the car has been noisier and it rattles or shakes after going 70. So I took it back to Pacific Audi this morning to have it check. They told me nothing is wrong, it can be from the tires. I have the stock P tires and it already has 27,000 miles.

So, do you guys think it's really the tires? Should I have it check at another dealership or other shops? The noise is unbearable, even when I turned up the music, I can still hear the annoying noise. I hate the fact it rattles, it reminds me of the old Honda I used to drive. If it is the tires, I would have it changed a in a heartbeat.

I just thought the guys at the Pacific Audi can do something about it, but didnt want to, becauseI sensed a differentattitudeafter I mentioned the car is chipped and has a CAI.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Default RE: TIre Noise Help.

Well, tires definitely get louder towards the end of their life. My Pirelli PZeros only lasted 19k miles, so you might be there. The tires should never shake, no matter the age if they are balanced and worn properly. I would suggest buying a new set of tires and being done with that problem. I recently bought a set of Toyo Proxes T1-R's at America's Tire for $125/each. I absolutely love them! They are very quiet and handle great. Much better than the Pirellis.

Cheers!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:01 PM

never mention mods bro.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: leighsean

never mention mods bro.
Huh?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:17 AM
2nd Gear

I think you have all seasons so you should be getting a bit more tire life than the sport tires. Do you know which tires have the noise? (fronts... back) Since you mention vibration above 70mph, try taking them to a tire shop and asked for them to be balanced and try them out.

Also, generally the more worn a tire is, the more noise it will produce.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 AM
SoCal Crew Member

I had a problem with a noise, sounded like something was rattling underneath the car and echoed up. i found out that it's the open sky system. that thing rattles like crazy right above your head, so you think it's coming from the bottom of the car. try driving with your open sky system close, while driving (with the rattllings starts) use your hands to push the glass of the open sky upwards to see if the noise is actually coming from there.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

Tyres will become 'unbalanced' as they wear. Getting them rebalanced won't cost much, and will eliminate one solution to the problem if it doesn't work.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Default RE: Tire Noise Help.

a couple of things to remember about tyres

1. are they rotational and on the right way
2. were they rotated and why and did they do it right then 1 applies here
3. the bigger the alloy the lower the tyre profile means the alloy can easily be damaged with pot holes or any thing else they hit also tyre damage is very easily done because of the lower profile tyre
4. if roted properly they dont get noisy or unbalanced with age
5. the rest is obvious like ( drive it like a race car )then you need to check things more often due to doing doughnuts and the like

Old 03-04-2007, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear

Ditto the above mention statements, also turn your wheel outward and check thread wear pattern if its uneven you will get road noise 100% of the time.

And about the not mentioning the mods at the dealer ditto that one times two,
never tell them what you have done to her, unless you have an agreement with the dealer's motosport dept. (if they have one)

Old 03-04-2007, 11:52 PM
1st Gear

Reason I mentioned about my mods is because my engine light comes on and off every couple of thousand miles, the dealer said the 2.0's have recalls, thats why it's flashing once a while, so they asked before going ahead with the reflash, so I had to come clean saying I got chipped.

I was just unhappy with their answer to solve my problem on the tires, they just kept saying it's been driven by the mechanic for about 4 miles and nothing is wrong, get new tires will solve the 2 problems I have. But when I asked did they try driving at about 70 and upwards to feel the rattle, all they can say is they're not allowed to go over 65. So bascially, I was left hanging there with no answers to my problems.

I am going to try another dealerships either tomorrow or the day after that, and see their response on the noise.

PS: I dont' have open sky system, the noise is just from the road noise.

Quick Reply: TIre Noise Help.