Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Tire and Wheel Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Tire and Wheel Sizes

So I have the standard factory 17x7.5 et56 5x112 wheels with 225/45R17 95H Pereilli P6 A/S (yuk[:'(]) and I'm looking at getting definitely new tires but thought while I'm at I will look into new wheels as well. So my understanding is as follows, if I go up in size with wheels from 17" to 18" or 19" I should try to keep the same overall diameter on my tire/wheel so I don't screw too much with the speedometer and trip computer and all that jazz. So am I right to say the following:

17 use 225/45R17
18 use 225/40R18
19 use 225/35R19

Which the larger wheels, what are the chances that there will start to be rubbing on the inside of the wheel arch. I mean the lareger wheels are normally 8-9" wide and can some times demand a wider tire, say 235, 245 or even 255. So if I was to go with a large wheel should I make sure that my offsets are lower, say 45-50 for a tire that is 235 or great to stop possible rubbing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Default RE: Tire and Wheel Sizes

You're right on target. Remember that the ride gets a lot more harsh with the lower profile tires.

I looked into new wheels with my tire change as well. Did you check out the wheels on the SoCal GTG May post? Super hot!!!

Cheers!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

You're right on target. Remember that the ride gets a lot more harsh with the lower profile tires.

I looked into new wheels with my tire change as well. Did you check out the wheels on the SoCal GTG May post? Super hot!!!

Cheers!
What changed your decision not to get the new wheels, putting aside the money aspect. I mean I understand that low profiles tires create for a more bumpy/stiff ride, but they look so much cooler [8D] Maybe just a new set of 17" wheels will do the trick, I'm just not happy with the standard 14 spoke wheels I have. Too much surface area to keep clean and I want something that is more closely matched to my black exterior. I really like the Axis Hiro wheels stryker has on his car.

I'll have to head over that forum to check them out, cheers for the heads up

Old 05-11-2007, 01:36 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: Chef

Cheers!
you mean the ones i'm gonna have in a few weeks?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Nam, I really like you, BUT.....YOU SUCK!!!

Anywho, I didn't get aftermarket wheels due to cost, and wanting to spend that money elsewhere for mods. I'll get in trouble for dropping thousands of dollars into my ride like that. I need to slowly sneak it in, here and there. Instead, I bought very sticky, nice tires for performance.

Cheers!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

You won't have any issues with rubbing on 225/40/18 set up. That is the stock upgraded 18s number. Even if you lower your car by around an inch, you won't have problems with the infamous bolt.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:03 AM
2nd Gear

Hey quadric i'm running 19x8 225-35-19 ride is rough cause there is hardly any rubber between you and the road.
I advise you to go with the 18x8 with a little more rubber and less harsh feel while driving, 18x8 with the extra rubber will also fill the wheel well nicely. Im just now experiencing rubbing in the rear because my stock shocks are going soft on me because of the h&r sport springs. Good luck. If you can spend some extra cash check out hartmann rims 7 spoke gunmetal or volk 7 spoke also gunmetal (anthricite) very lite and pleasing to the eye. good luck.

p.s. It will be hard for you to beat the look and price of the Axis hiros.[8D]

Old 05-12-2007, 08:48 AM
1st Gear
Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: stryker

Hey quadric i'm running 19x8 225-35-19 ride is rough cause there is hardly any rubber between you and the road.
I advise you to go with the 18x8 with a little more rubber and less harsh feel while driving, 18x8 with the extra rubber will also fill the wheel well nicely. Im just now experiencing rubbing in the rear because my stock shocks are going soft on me because of the h&r sport springs. Good luck. If you can spend some extra cash check out hartmann rims 7 spoke gunmetal or volk 7 spoke also gunmetal (anthricite) very lite and pleasing to the eye. good luck.

p.s. It will be hard for you to beat the look and price of the Axis hiros.[8D]
I'm curious to know how you got your Axis Hiro wheels on your car, cause the only ones I could find were 5x114.3 bolt pattern and not 5x112 which I believe is what will fit on? And the pain that I'm having at the moment is I see a really nice wheel only to find it comes in 5x100 or 5x114.3

I think after speaking to a few people at work and here, I have to agree 19" is maybe a bit much and as you say is going to make for a rough ride. I'm thinking keeping it at 18" with the 225/40R18 tires. Now I just have to find something that will fit the bolt pattern that I like. So tell me this as well, a 225 tire is going to fit on both a 18x7.5 and a 18x8 right, so why would I choose one over the other of 7.5 or 8 width? Also, what offsets should I be looking at, I assume nothing below say a 45 and nothing above a 56?

I like these Volk wheels (again to bad they are 5x100 or 5x114.3 only) [:@]

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/w.../volkce28n.jpg but these only have 30 or 38 offset

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/w...s/volkte37.jpg these have 48 offsets

Oh well I'll just have to keep looking won't I

Just a side question, how do I embed images in a post. I tried [img][/img] but it didn't seem to work.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

You didn't like these? I would have bought them, but I decided to stick with 17's.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...anium+Gunmetal

Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel Sizes