Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

True iPod integration - Audi to Apple - mid 2007?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:35 PM
1st Gear
Default True iPod integration - Audi to Apple - mid 2007?

There have been several posts about integrating your iPod with your A3 on this forum. Most involve some sort of aftermarket. One guy talked about the factory setup and sounded disappointed with what they offered, which sounded overpriced and not real functional. Can't find that post at the moment, but today I was on the Audiusa.com site and saw this link to their new and improved iPod integration. The price is only $295.00 and it sounds like everything we'd expect from such integration (songs displayed in factory radio, steering wheel button control, excellent audio quality, etc..)

Problem is it does not sound like it's available until Mid 2007, and only on newly manufactured cars, and NOT on A3's! What gives???!

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/e...Interface.html

Here is the text from that page;

The Audi music interface offers a market-leading, unique and intelligent integration with the iPod. Any iPod Generation 4 and higher (iPod, iPod nano, iPod photo) equipped with the Dock Connector may be connected to the supplied adapter cable. The main iPod menu structure will be displayed on the MMI screen. The central control **** on the MMI panel, or the multifunction steering wheel controls, may be used to easily navigate through playlists, albums, artists, etc. The Audi music interface also charges the iPod battery while it is connected

New features that differentiate the Audi music interface system from other systems with MP3 compatibility include its adaptability with future generation devices. The Audi music interface uses a standardized 18-pin connector in the glovebox. The adapter cable with the iPod Dock Connector is just the beginning; various adapters, including USB, are under future consideration.
Overview

Available option on mid-Model Year 2007 Audi A6, A8 and Audi Q7
MSRP: $290.00US includes iPod Adapter Cable
Integrates iPod menus into MMI and instrument cluster displays
Displays Artist/Title information on MMI
Fingertip control via MMI or multifunction steering wheel
Installs in Glovebox (A6/A8) or under center armrest (Audi Q7) for easy access
Standardized connector - accepts various music player adapter cables
Additional Adapter Cables sold separately via Audi Accessories

Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: True iPod integration - Audi to Apple - mid 2007?

I talked to a A3 owner who works at Apple and he had used a adapter cable to CD slot in glove compartment. Sounds a lot like the "The Audi music interface uses a standardized 18-pin connector in the glovebox" mentioned on the web. He was disappointed that he was limited to 5 selection menu's.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

Since the A3 doesn't have MMI, I doubt it will be coming to our lowly A3's

Old 11-02-2006, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

This link says Audi currently offers iPod integration for A3, A4, S4 and RS 4 models. A lot of images discussing the new Audi Music interface.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

If they offer something like this, I'll be impressed. Working with Apple isn't easy, getting license from them to interface with their products won't be easy. I'm sure Audi doesn't really want to retrofit our 'old' cars (I'm speaking of my 2007 A3)...put it on the new ones and make us buy that.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:43 AM
1st Gear

i just installed the dice setup and honestly, for the price ($200 including ipod holder and mount) and the sound, i think it'll do me just fine

Old 11-02-2006, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

If you get Nav/Sound you have MMI (on your A3)

Old 11-02-2006, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

Wow, that is one lengthy and confusing article. It sounds like the A3 is going to be left alone, they are happy with the SD/MP3 solution. From this cut and paste...

The current accessory solution for A3, A4, S4 and RS 4 iPod integration will remain the sole offering for those models. In those cases, this has been accented by SD card MP3 capability for those cars with navigation, and the new 2007-spec non-navigation Symphony II+ head unit will also now play MP3 CDs.

The problem with iPod integration is that it can simply mean hooking up your iPod so sound comes out your speakers. There are so many ways (a lot of them crappy, overpriced, etc.) to do this. Discriminating iPod owners are aware that there are ways to COMPLETELY INTEGRATE into your car by viewing and controlling playlists right on your standard radio controls while your iPod is simply plugged in and out of site in say the glovebox. From my original post article it sounds like someone at Audi finally understood this concept and is starting to make it right.

In the mean time I'm sure that 99% of the salespeople out there have no idea what true integration is.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jefferson

If you get Nav/Sound you have MMI (on your A3)
Nope. The nav screen says MMI but it's not the "real" MMI that's in the A6 say. You don't get the MMI controls or the nice full color display between the gauges.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

Yes, the A3 does not have full color display in the instrument cluster, but monochrome there is just fine. You still have MMI if you have Nav/Sound.

The A3 Nav/Sound layout with the color LCD and all controls are logically identical to the controls and display in an A6. You have the control dial, four corner selectors, eight function buttons, and a back/forward set of buttons.

see this page, which shows both systems:

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/e...nvenience.html

Quick Reply: True iPod integration - Audi to Apple - mid 2007?