Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Two Questions about my new A3

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Two Questions about my new A3

I got my 2006 A3 3.2 DSG yesterday. It has Bluetooth phone prep, open sky, and s-line. The guy who had it before me (I got it with 10,000 miles) had an Audi dealer install XM satellite radio... Is there any way to switch the service over to Sirius? I tried checking the codes thru the radio interface and it doesn't list the Sirius codes.

Second question... I was reading up on the power steering and it's adjustability thru the cars computer... can I ask a dealer to change from the stock level of whatever down to 2 or 3? Will they charge me? I don't wanna do it myself...

Thanks,
Drew

Old 07-27-2007, 10:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Two Questions about my new A3

Congrats on your new ride!

XM.... usually (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong with the A3) the satellite radio, no matter who makes it, is proprietary. You either have sirius or you have xm and you can't switch without buying new equipment.

Steering.... If the steering control is adjusted through vag-com, you can ask your dealer if they charge for it. Technically they should, but sometimes they will do it for free. The best thing would be to find someone with a vag-com in your area that would do it for you. Or you could buy the cable and software if you have a windoze laptop. Comes in handy for lots of little adjustments and diagnostics. This is of course assuming it is a vagcom adjustment that you are talking about. Personally I'm not familiar with the power steering adjustment.

I'm sure others will chime in to confirm or correct me...

Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

I don't want to mess up my car with my crappy *** Vista computer and all the gizmos that I would have to buy, etc. I'd rather pay a small fee at the dealer. It shouldn't take but a few seconds to adjust, correct?

The XM sattelite equiptment was installed after the car was purchased, so it's more than likely only for XM... I'm guessing. Oh well, I just listen to CDs/Ipod.

Thanks,
Drew

Old 07-27-2007, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

Like d2mini said, you need to buy a new receiver for Sirius. Alternatively, you can wait for the two companies to merge and hope that they will keep all of their receivers capable of accessing all the programming as they already claim they are capable of. Write a letter to the FCC to speed up the approval process.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 PM

Correct on the change of hardware for the satellite radio.

Also, the dealer won't adjust the steering level for you. They don't understand how to do it. It is primarily a trick of the VAG-COM software, so you'll need to find somebody with a cable and that program. Sorry.

Cheers!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

My dealer is going to see if they can enable the auto windows from the remote on Wednesday

Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

How much does the Vag-Com software/cable cost? I'm pretty good with computers and whatnot, I just don't want to mess up my new Audi! I'd rather have a dealer do it... I'm going to ask tomorrow, but if they say no or don't know what I'm talking about, I'll probably go with buying a cable/software...

Can anyone direct me to the correct one and how much it costs?

Old 07-29-2007, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

If you want Sirius you will need a different tuner. You can probably find someone on the forums who has Sirius that wants XM and would trade you. Otherwise, the Sirius tuner is something like $400 from the dealer.

As for Vag-Com, you will need a CAN Bus cable to work with the A3. If you buy it from Ross-Tech, the cheapest option is $250. Link: http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=VAGCOM This one will only work with CAN bus cars, so you can't use it on an older Audi/VW. They also sell one that does CAN and older cars, it costs $330-350 depending on whether you want USB or serial. Otherwise, you can use the VAG Locator page to find someone who has one that is willing to help you out. Link: http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl It's always nice to offer up some beer/pizza/cash, whatever. If you do contact someone, be sure to ask them if they have the CAN cable.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

Okay, lets say I found someone willing to trade...

What does the tuner look like and where is it in the car?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Before you spend your money, it is my understanding that it is not possible to adjust steering via VAG-COM on a 2007 A3. Only 2006

Quick Reply: Two Questions about my new A3