Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Unitronic vs. APR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Unitronic vs. APR?

Saw a few GTI boys swear by their unitronic chip/reflash. Anyone has experience with that?
I'm double checking to make sure ecu reflash won't cost me anything for my leased A3. If not... =)
I"m leaning towards APR atm.

[Edit - i meant APR]

Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Unitronic vs. APR?

If Audi catches you with your engine chipper im pretty sure they void the warrenty so that can add up if you get caught. I was leaning twoards APR too but I found out that it is really easy to catch because all the dealer has to do is flip the cruise control and that shows if its chipped with the APR. The most stealthy chip which will probably be undetectable is the Superchip which is a hefty 900$. Im on a lease too and im really giving the chip some thought. And also, if you do decide to get it chipped, make sure you wait until your next service because Audi is upgrading the ECU and it can erase any chip you might have.

good luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

so tempted
NGP Racing is having a sale on AGP

* -Buy one program, get a second program free ECU upgrade sale (save $149)
* -Buy two programs get a loaded chip free! This includes the anti-theft option, so it's a HUGE value.
* -10% off APR's VR6, R32 and NA Porsche Software packages

I think AGP is having a big sale in general. The reflash itself costs $599 + $70 labor at the MD shop (or $85 labor at the VA shop)

Old 04-18-2008, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

I can confirm the stealth of Superchip.

I have my TDI chipped, and 2 weeks later I had my car in with Audi for 3 days of extensive 'fiddling' with my ECU and ESP set-up. They went all over the car electronically, including showing me a lot of the data they pulled out of the car. They never found out the car is chipped with Superchip.

I'm also very happy with the chip performance
1) Even more torque, more consistent torque through the rev range. Performance is awesome!
2) BETTER fuel economy than before I chipped it, even accounting for the more aggressive driving I do because of the fun of the chip.
3) The superchip software also reprogrammed by DSG, and the shifts are even better than ever!

In terms of value, the stealth nature of the software alone makes Superchips a good deal. Though, if one compares the stats on the Revo versus Superchips, REVO puts out more. But I talked to Superchips on the phone for a quite a while and really agree with their tuning philosophy which is to complement the original performance of the car, not to transform it into a raging beast of power! Since I've chipped, I've not experienced one downside of doing so, and it's been a few months of various driving conditions and the fact I no longer fear losing my warranty!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

I just got a REVO demo chip put in my car for free today and wow does it make a huge difference. I talked to the guy for a bit and he was telling me that almost all chips are undetectable as long as you turn them off before you get your car serviced. So if REVO (and some others ) is turned off before you go to get it serviced, they will not find it.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

I've been wondering which one too get, thanks for the info. I'm still leaning towards APR.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

I was leaning towards APR too. Spoke with Nate at NGP racing about their chip.
I also want to give Unitronic a shot too (For some reason as I'm typing this comment I keep spelling it as Ubertronic)

Want to share a couple email convo I had with Ray @ RAI Motorsport in Towson, MD about the Unitronics chip

Ray:
================================================== ============
Unitronic offers several things over the competitors tunes. The most important factor in my opinion is that it is a true remapping of the ecu, not tricking the ecu into running more boost or timing. The ecu retains all of its functions most importantly its ability to adapt to changing operating conditions. Also all of your engines sensors remain in tact. The software is also undetectable by the dealership...unless they drive it of course . The biggest difference is having that dynamic tune that will continue to work with additional mods on the car, vs a static tune that is set one way permanently. So if you go to higher altitude, the car will adapt as needed. Also unitronic support is the best in the industry. So if any issue ever comes up (never had one yet) you will be fully supported without having to worry about any fees or waiting. The price for the chip is 500 for the stage 1 and 600 for the stage 1+, or 650 for stage 2 (this requires intake and turbo back exhaust, we have successfully ran this program with only a cat delete). Installation takes about a hour and is done through the obd2 port, or the ecu can just be sent to us and we can bench flash it.

Unitronic also runs 18 psi, with aggressive timing maps. To explain more the difference between unitronic to apr i will share this with you. The Unitronic remapping is done by rewriting the actual bosch tuned maps. They write the maps a similiar way to bosch. Therefore the programming is done correctly. The other used method of chipping ecm's is manipulating. This method is made to trick the ecu into running the way you want it to. Often times these ecu's are fighting off the programming. This can be seen when hiccups while idling occurs as well as stalling. Performance wise the apr chip is a great product, but i and other customers find the main difference to be the way they drive and deliver power. the apr gives a quick torque surge that trails off as you near redline, the unitronic gives less initial surge but pulls harder the more you rev the engine. we have reprogrammed apr cars already. Most of my experience has been with the 2.0t gti's. They are on the same med9 management but the actual software has slight differences. Unitronic software also integrates perfectly to work with dsg cars, those cars are the fastest. As i said before the ecu retains all of its learning or adapting abilities, so the transmission computer never conflicts with the ecu and adjust to driving as needed, as designed to by the factory. Also unitronic does not currently support port switching. There is a problem for them to do it because they actually remap, not change a few settings. I believe apr changes 7 maps in the med9 cars, unitronic is remapping 17 maps. so switching that back is a little more difficult. Gas mileage is the same and usually better. the problem will be with your foot ;-) And if the dealer does the software update, there is no charge to reinstall. Also the file for your car is the updated software version, so we essentially do the software update from you. But this is not good enough for audi to still honor the warranty, we cant update vwhub with that so as far as they are concerned it never happened. Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any more questions. Also look to the feedback from people running the gti's. The programs, power, etc are very similiar, also so you know unitronic software is on some of the fastest 2.0t's and definately the fastest 3.2 cars out there. One last thing we found is that they are very conservative on the numbers they claim vs other companies. Thanks again and i will talk to you soon.
=========================================

Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

that's interesting. If what they claim is correct, it kinda makes me want to go with that one instead. I might have to look into it further.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

Any chip company can convince you to buy their chip, I wouldn't get APR if you are worried about getting caught by the dealer because its a flip of a cruise control to see it. Look up what the chip adds, look at if the place is willing to do reflashes for you incase something goes wrong or something, and compare prices.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: fusionx

Any chip company can convince you to buy their chip, I wouldn't get APR if you are worried about getting caught by the dealer because its a flip of a cruise control to see it. Look up what the chip adds, look at if the place is willing to do reflashes for you incase something goes wrong or something, and compare prices.
Both shops offer reflashing again if dealer decides to do an ECU upgrade so that's covered. What I'm worried about is if dealer has any other way of finding out the chip. My roommate's stepdad owns a GM dealership and mr. step-dad once had a customer who blew a chipped engine. ODB scan (which is similar to the VAG-COM i assume?) came back clean. However the insurance company who's responsible for the $10k claim sent the dealership some other scanner and found the chip. Does anyone know if Audi has something like that? Or if Audi's VAG-COM comes back clean/no-error code, Audi cannot hold you responsible?

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Unitronic vs. APR?