Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Upgrading OEM Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Upgrading OEM Radio?

Did you check vagparts.com? They have a double din cage https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.onean...dex.shopscript although I don't think that is what you are looking for. This was a really good write up with pictures on how to chagne out the enitre sound system of the A3. http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothr...080&page=1 There isn't any wiring harness as of yet. you basically have to forget about the factory wiring and run new wires.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

My 08 A3 is in the shopnow having the Pioneer Z2 put in with Bluetooth and XM w/traffic. Installer was upfront that the steering wheel controls may not work (which will remove over $200 in parts/labor. I can live with that as they are clunky to begin with. He had schematic for A4 to check compatability. I'll give a report tomorrow.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dr6837

My 08 A3 is in the shopnow having the Pioneer Z2 put in with Bluetooth and XM w/traffic. Installer was upfront that the steering wheel controls may not work (which will remove over $200 in parts/labor. I can live with that as they are clunky to begin with. He had schematic for A4 to check compatability. I'll give a report tomorrow.
Doesn't the Z2 have a remote control (or 2)? In my F150, I NEVER used my steering wheel controls because I had a remote.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

Quote-"My 08 A3 is in the shop now having the Pioneer Z2 put in with Bluetooth and XM w/traffic. Installer was upfront that the steering wheel controls may not work (which will remove over $200 in parts/labor. I can live with that as they are clunky to begin with. He had schematic for A4 to check compatability. I'll give a report tomorrow."

Cool, let me know how it looks!. I guess my concern there is the trim ring that is used to make it fit and if there is going to be a harness available because I hate the idea of having to cut the existing wires or pulling the trim and running new stuff.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear

Ok many points to address here, I'll try to be as brief as possible.

Upgrading OEM: It is possible to add satellite and Bluetooth to your existing stereo. It is also possible to upgrade to the OEM double-DIN nav unit, but you will need a new double-DIN cage, new set of buttons (flashers, airbag light, ESP, etc) and possible a new climate control unit. All of these upgrades are covered in detail at http://www.audidiy.com, you can also find most/all of the part numbers needed from their write-ups. Cheapest option for the nav unit, sat tuner, etc. is going to be eBay. You can order these parts from the dealer, but they will be exponentially more expensive.

Aftermarket: Be prepared to get your hands dirty with the wiring. There is a Metra harness that will fit the A3 (I'm using it myself) but it requires a bit of extra work. The power and ground wires coming out of the harness are reversed, and the A3 has no provision for switched 12v or illumination lead. If you decide to go this route, let me know and I will go into more detail. As for running an aftermarket iPod cable into your glove box, I just popped out the left insert and dremeled out the port in the back (used for a CD changer) and passed the cord through. The hole is only about 1" x 0.5". If you decide to go with a double-DIN aftermarket unit, you are still going to need all of the parts to rearrange your dash (climate controls, buttons, DIN cage etc.) Also, with ANY aftermarket stereo, you are going to need an antenna adapter if you want to retain AM/FM capability.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to post up with any questions. I went through a bit of hassle installing my aftermarket stereo and I can help you avoid the common pitfalls. Also, if you do go aftermarket, PLEASE contact me before you cut up your stock harness! The Metra harness is about $20, but it will retain your stock speaker wires and factory amp connection. The two extra wires you have to run are nothing compared to pulling new wires for your rear speakers and bypassing the amp.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: converted

I'm not sure what model year you have, but if it's an '08 then I might have a suggestion for you. I was at the dealership this morning and I saw an '08 A3 in the showroom and I started looking through it to see what has changed. I saw on the window sticker that it had the ipod glove box connection installed and I wanted to see how good of a job I did installing mine compared to the factory/dealer installation. Much to my surprise Audi has created a horizontal docking station in the glove box. It's in the same place as the old style ipod connection, up on the top left in that pocket.

Now to my suggestion. That piece in the glove compartment can pop out without having to remove the glove box. You could pop it out and replace the Audi supplied cable with your aftermarket radio supplied ipod cable. Audi's new Ipod docking station looks really clean, but I can see that it could be difficult attaching the ipod in while sitting in the driver's seat. I tried using my nano that I had in my pocket from the passenger seat and had a little difficulty getting it in there. Maybe a full size ipod would be easier. On my install I gave myself enough lead to allow me to pull the cable out beyong the glove box opening a foot or so.

If you do have this new connection type and are able to get it out of the car, be sure and post some pics (front, back, and side) so we can see how this is put together.
Regarding the '08 A3 you looked at, you popped out the iPod glove box cradle and looked at the back? It had a standard iPod dock connection? Was the dealer cool with you popping it out to look at? Ever since I saw that piece in the '08s, I've been thinking about adding that to my install. I'm just worried about what kind of connection it has, I've got an aftermarket unit with a normal iPod dock cable connection and I want to be sure that it will plug into the OEM piece.

Were you at the dealership on Southside and Gate? I may stop in there and see if they'd let me take a look at it. If I can get the part number off of it, I'd like to order one for myself.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

I had the Pioneer Z2installed a couple of days ago. Here's what I found out. On the late model A3's the two interface units that Pioneerrequires to operate steering wheelcontrols on the A4 and A6 do not work on the A3.I don't like giving up some features on a brand new car but they were clunky to begin with and for $20 you can get a remote that's not much bigger than a key fob. If you can live with that the good news story (after spending all that money!), the standard speakers and amp in the basic Concert radio sound really great on cd's. I have a few 24/96 hz mastered music dvds and they are even better. The installation looks as good as factory and since there are no ***** it cleans up and improves the look of the dash center-all of that is my opinion, of course.
If I understand the dimensions of a double DIN (180mm X 100mm) I think the factory unit is a double. I'll try and add a couple of pics.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: dr6837

If I understand the dimensions of a double DIN (180mm X 100mm) I think the factory unit is a double. I'll try and add a couple of pics.
Some of the factory units are double DIN (such as the nav unit) and some are single (like the base Audi Concert unit). Just depends on what options the car came with from the factory.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Z2. I'd love to see some pics whenever you get time. You were getting XM w/ NavTraffic, right? Did the installer retain the factory sat antenna? Did they have to install a new antenna for the GPS?

Old 11-17-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

I'm not smart enough to drag a pic here but this link should take you to three pics I took on the installed unit. As far as the sat antenna I'm guessing it's placed right next to the GPS unit at the front center of the dash. Each one's footprint is a little larger than a quarter. The mike is clipped to the forward edge of the driver visor.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14219494@N06/2040922372/
Hope this works.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

Wow, looks nice! It really does clean up the dash nicely. Were you able to get the buttons' illumination to match the dash?

Quick Reply: Upgrading OEM Radio?