Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A/V Receivers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:01 PM
1st Gear
Default A/V Receivers

I really wanna upgrade my stock "audi concert" to a high end a/v/navig. system.
now...any feedback on anything compatible with our steering wheel controls ?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A/V Receivers

anything ??????

Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 AM
2nd Gear

As of now, there is no steering wheel interface that is fully compatible with the A3.

Are you thinking of going with a flip-out or an in-dash double DIN nav unit? From the pic in your sig, it looks like your factory unit is single DIN. It is possible to convert to double DIN, but it's a pretty involved project and it ain't cheap.

Post a little bit more about what you're trying to do and I'll help you to the best of my abilities.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Single ... Flip out

Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear

You can get the DIN adapter from http://www.vagparts.com/ I got mine from them and it looks great. It is a VW/Audi OEM part, so the color and texture are a perfect match.

Are you planning to keep the factory amp and speakers? Your factory system is non-Bose, correct? There is a Metra harness that, with some minor modification, will work with the A3 and retain the factory amp (so you don't have to run new wires to the rear speakers and you can keep the factory sub). You will have to run a wire from the fuse box for the switched 12v (to turn the head unit on/off with the ignition) and a wire from the headlight switch for illumination signal (to dim the unit at night).

I'm not sure where to find any other wires for nav purposes (parking brake, reverse, etc.)

You will also need an antenna adapter if you want ot retain AM/FM.

Err, I just wrote all of this assuming you are installing it yourself. I didn't even think to ask if that's what you're doing.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...069872,00.html

something like those....... single din.....ill have to get i guess the mount adapter filler and proper cables ...... but something that will do ipod / sat / tv / cd / dvds / etc........ the whole thing..... even bluetooth for iphone and stuff .....

Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

ohh sweet .....im gonna check out those parts...... ive never work with a full A/V unit before......... in my old cars it was just a simple harness adapter and magic ..... used to work just fine but it was also a plain stereo unit.....
this one is fully loaded... as u said.... gotta find out if im adding the rear camera or stuff like that..... like all the other wiring involved.....

Old 12-06-2007, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, the wiring and layout of a full system like you're looking at is a lot more in depth than a regular stereo. Most flip-out units have an external break-out box that will have to be stashed somewhere, plus your satellite tuner and TV tuner will both be seperate units, and possibly the Bluetooth (depending on what model you go with). You're also going to have three additional antennas to deal with (GPS, sat radio, and TV).

I'll be more than happy to help you out in any way that I can, just ask!