Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Want to get an A3, but some questions first

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Want to get an A3, but some questions first

Hi. I'm new here and I would like to ask a couple of questions. Please forgive me if I ask a profoundly stupid question.

I'm looking to pick up a used A3 (manual) and there is a 2007 that I test drove that I'm >< this close to making an offer on. However, I see on the forums an issue regarding something called a Cam Follower on 2006-2008.5 models and that the engine changed from timing belt to chain after that.

Unfortunately 2009+ models tend to break my budget (or come close to it) and I would really need to have a good reason to buy such a late model.

Questions:
-Is this cam follower issue a big deal, or is it overblown and only affected a few cars?
-Was/is there a recall/fix from the manufacturer?
-Is the newer engine better in other ways? i thought I read the newer (TSI?) engines were a little smoother.

Non-engine related:
-I've read the open sky sunroof can make the car really hot in the summer (even with the shades closed). Anyone who lives in the deep south[west] can share their experiences with this? I'd like to have the open sky, but I'm a little scared off at the moment.

-Ok, this one may offend some, but at least I can blame my wife. I love the car and think it rides fine. However, my wife thinks the suspension is a little stiff. How hard is it to change out the springs to something a little softer (I know, I know, but she does have back problems so it is an issue to consider)? She's ridden in other A3s and seems to think it is inherent in this type of vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A3 info

2008 A3 2.0T with DSG and Open Sky, 25K miles. Live near Atlanta, GA
1. Surprisingly (I thought it would make the car hot, too), as long as the shades are closed, I do not see where the open sky feature makes the car unusually hot. We do have a light colored interior and use a sun shade a lot.
2. The Pirelli's that came with the car are very rough. FINALLY, mounted Michelin Primacy MXM4s. Wife's comment afterwards, "Car rides on air." Remember, though, this is a small "sporty" car, not a luxury cruiser.
3. Can't comment on the cam belt. Had the DSG replaced under warrranty. Bad from the get go.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

The cam follower issue on the high pressure fuel pump is likely to affect ALL cars with that engine. I noticed iron filings on my (after market) magnetic drain plug at 63K and had it fixed under the CPO warranty at the next oil change (69K). The repair included a new intake camshaft, follower and fuel pump. Notably, I saw the associated Check Engine Light only a few days before the repair.

The DSG Mechatronics (auto transmission controller) has been updated. The new one is hugely better. See the long thread on this subject. If it hasn't been done to the car already, I believe there's an extended warranty on 2007+ A3's to cover it. Good thing, because its expensive (~$3500).

Here's an excellent summary of A3 items that could become problems:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3366758

The timing belt should be replaced at 75-100K miles. I'll probably do mine this summer (~80K). If I do it myself, its about $400-500 (with water pump, etc.), the dealer would probably charge $1500 and a private garage around $1000. The TSI models have a timing chain, so no need.

Regarding the ride - I also found the A3 OEM Sport shocks to be stiff. I tried Koni FSD's but both fronts lost their "stiff" damping after 33K. The Koni Sports that I requested as warranty replacements are better than either the OEM Sport or FSD's for both ride and handling. The Premium package springs and shocks are softer and also cause the car to ride higher and are said to be much lower performance (see the Road&Track road test). You could probably find Premium springs available For Sale from forum members that have replaced their suspension. As GA2008A3 states, tires can make a bigger difference, and the orginal Pirellis should be avoided.

Have you tried Jettas and GTI's for ride comparison? They all use the same chassis as the A3 (also VW EOS and Tiguan).

I'm interested in any replies you get to your questions about the TSI engine. Haven't seen much about the effects of that change.

I have a tan interior with Open Sky and don't notice a hot interior, but I live where there's distinctly less sunlight and much lower temperatures.

The following blog should be required reading for all A3 owners (LOTS of tips and DIY, well written and photographed) and includes a cheap suggestion for dealing with Open Sky interior temperature concerns.

http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

dfrost and GA2008,

Thanks for the replies. They have been a great help.

I didn't think of the tires being the issue. I'll check into it.

Thanks, too, for the links. I now realize the cam is part of the (high pressure) fuel pump. It looks like there is a TSB for the fuel pump cam. I wonder if that is covered by the MFG warranty?

I still can't quite make up my mind, but I'm leaning towards the 2007.