Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Warming up the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Warming up the engine?

ORIGINAL: Chef

Okay, but how long does it take for the oil pump to get oil to all parts of the engine? Seconds?

Not to split hairs, but warming up the engine is NOT needed. That's all there is to it.

Cooling down turbos is another thing, and we could go many posts on that subject too.

Cheers!
I agree, not long! I am sure there are folks in both camps, I guess whatever you personally feel is better for your engine. The turbos & engines in the RX-7's really ran warm, so starting up and cooling was a big issue. .

Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

ORIGINAL: jbrx7tt

Itis important to let the engine warm up in general at least for bit, to let the oil get into all of the parts before driving, especially when the oil is cold.Like Sancho said, I usually let it idle until it drops under 1k. Too much idling is just a waste of gas and is actually not good for the car. Warming up is also good fora turbo car. Havingseveral twin turbo RX-7's, it was one the essential rules to both warm it up and to make sure to cool it down, many of the guys would get turbo timers as well.
Okay, but how long does it take for the oil pump to get oil to all parts of the engine? Seconds?

Not to split hairs, but warming up the engine is NOT needed. That's all there is to it.

Cooling down turbos is another thing, and we could go many posts on that subject too.

Cheers!
Actually Chief its 30 to 40 sec's usually for proper oil flow and lubrication throughout the engine for mild climate. You probably spend that much time just getting comfortable in your A3 before taking off. (seat belts, radio, windows, climate control, seat heaters). I think the warmup becomes more of a issue if your oil hasn't been changed at frequent intervals. [sm=shades.gif]

Old 02-07-2007, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear

Remember boys, if you are using synthetic oils in your engines you should not have to worry too much for getting your car to warm up so the oil can go from the bottom of the pan to the moving parts. Synthetic oils were built to leave a protective coat on all moving parts to protect them in low temps, and in high temps. They are supposed to last a little longer then reg. oil and out preform all other types of oil in all types of extreme temps. I read that some where i just dont remember where.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

i dont warm up, no point. I've even heard stories from mechanics that warming up can be bad for the car. if you just drive, it warms up faster, so everything reaches operating temp sooner. With iron blocks and aluminum heads its especially important to warm up as fast(aka, DRIVE IT)as possible due to different rates of expansion. the sooner they are at opperating tempature, the sooner tolerances are where they are supposed to be, etc....

Old 02-08-2007, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: falcompsx

i dont warm up, no point. I've even heard stories from mechanics that warming up can be bad for the car. if you just drive, it warms up faster, so everything reaches operating temp sooner. With iron blocks and aluminum heads its especially important to warm up as fast(aka, DRIVE IT)as possible due to different rates of expansion. the sooner they are at opperating tempature, the sooner tolerances are where they are supposed to be, etc....
This is the most accurateadvice so far,100% right,Audi themselves even tell u in the manual not to warm-up,jus drive off,they make the cars in Germany forchrist sake, they could tell you about some real bad weather.(not that ive read the manual)

Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
L7
1st Gear

On this subject. I now we don't have the near the same kind of weather as our Canadian brethren or MidWestern kin folk here in Maryland. But, I noticed on the really cold mornings we've had recently - the instrumentation readouts seem to be functioning a tad slow. Both for the center dash information center and the radio. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed it? Is it just because the circuits are cold and the nanos are not quite moving that fast or should I ease up on the alchohol.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

the manual says specifically u don't need to warm up, i think that speaks pretty boldly...

Old 02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: L7

On this subject. I now we don't have the near the same kind of weather as our Canadian brethren or MidWestern kin folk here in Maryland. But, I noticed on the really cold mornings we've had recently - the instrumentation readouts seem to be functioning a tad slow. Both for the center dash information center and the radio. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed it? Is it just because the circuits are cold and the nanos are not quite moving that fast or should I ease up on the alchohol.
Same here, my radio and trip computer are alittle delayed when I first start my cold car in the mornings. But its a tad delayed, could barely notice, you have to really look. I noticed this happen in alot of vehicles actually when its VERY cold. Doesnt bother me, it quickly stops.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

Actually, let me make that clear. Its the illumination that is a bit delayed.

Like when I scroll thru the radio stations specifically, it goes to the station without a problem, but the illumination is slow, again when its very cold, and goes away almost immediately after the car is on.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Shazam!

the manual says specifically u don't need to warm up, i think that speaks pretty boldly...
True, but you will also notice that the emphasis is on lower emissions as the way the guidance was written, the overheating part is common sense, you don't let a car idle for long periods to make your car inside warm. Thats what heated seat option is about. Still if your at a sub-freezing area and the motor runs rough when you immediately take off, then you need to wait a few seconds more. I do like the A3 doesn't have any problems taking off immediately compared to other cars in mild climate. The DSG is amazing in this aspect.

Quick Reply: Warming up the engine?