Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What to do before chipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear
Default What to do before chipping

Hey guys, looking for help on something I saw a while back, but haven't been able to find again. I've seen a thread either on this forum, or audizine, or fourtitude (somewhere) where the question of which chip to install was asked and someone responded with the best answer possible, which is a list of bolt on modifications that needed to be done first so the ECU software can be calibrated for the modifications and also so the car can keep all that power on the ground. I'm thinking about keeping my suspension stock on the s-line and putting in CAI, exhaust, mounts, sway and LSD. Can you guys help break down what bolt ons are totally necessary before the chip and what can be done aftewards? Also suggestions for anything I'm not thinking of or manufacturers of parts would be pretty awesome too.

BTW, this is all preliminary cause I'm getting my A3 in March (month before my current lease is up).

If you guys can find the link to the thread I'm referring to above, please post!

Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: What to do before chipping

I've seen the question come up a few times, but I can't remember any definitive thread on the topic. The only thing you absolutely need before or very soon after chipping is an upgraded diverter valve. The extra boost will make short work of the stock piece. There are a few options out; Forge is always highly recommended.

Aside from that, pretty much any mod you put on will be a plus, moreso even than on a stock car. Intake and exhaust will allow the engine to breathe much better; and as you mentioned an LSD would be great for improving traction, however majority of people here who are chipped do not have LSD so it is not absolutely imperative. Upgraded fuel pump would be a good idea, but again I haven't heard of anyone here who's got one yet. APR makes one, it's pricey though. Some of the different tuners offer a specially calibrated tune to maximize the potential power that the new fuel pump offers.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks BAMF. I'll definitely look at the diverter valve when I cross that road. I'm just a little disappointed that the A3 didn't come with LSD stock and I'm going to try to have it installed before I get chipped so I can dump the clutch right after 1k miles and put more down without spinning too much. I heard that you can spin the wheels on stock (no chip) a3 pretty easily as it is already. I can't wait!!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

whats an LSD? Pardon my ignroance noobness

Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: brodieone

whats an LSD? Pardon my ignroance noobness
I'm pretty sure that in the context of this web site it means:
LSD = Limited Slip Differential

However, I suppose to some here it could also mean:
LSD = Lysergic Acid Diethylamide

[8D]

Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM

I agree about the LSD, but that is almost $1k, and you have to drop the tranny for the install. If it wasn't so much work, I'd have it done already. I agree that it is a very desirable thing with the increased power, but definitely not absolutely necessary.

Cheers!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:56 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BAMF

I've seen the question come up a few times, but I can't remember any definitive thread on the topic. The only thing you absolutely need before or very soon after chipping is an upgraded diverter valve. The extra boost will make short work of the stock piece. There are a few options out; Forge is always highly recommended.
From what I have read the newer 08 models have the new beefy DV that should not break.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: burnt toast

ORIGINAL: BAMF

From what I have read the newer 08 models have the new beefy DV that should not break.
Where did you read or hear this? I'd be interested to know the different part numbers and what was changed.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Default DV?

I should know for sure in a couple of days. I was told by a "wrench" that the new 08 2.0T have the DV incorporated in the turbo. I posted this question yesterday in the super charger/turbo forum on this siteand have yet received no replies.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: DV?

I agree about the LSD, but that is almost $1k, and you have to drop the tranny for the install. If it wasn't so much work, I'd have it done already. I agree that it is a very desirable thing with the increased power, but definitely not absolutely necessary.
I am noob too. could you explain what you meant by dropping the tranny? Is that to a new lower permanent position (is that even possible) or disassemble the tranny to get to the differentials?

Quick Reply: What to do before chipping