Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What kind of oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Default What kind of oil to use?

I am reaching the 5K mark for my 2007 A3 2.0T. What kind of oil is recommended to use for an oil change?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: What kind of oil to use?

You know the first service (5k) is free at the dealer, right? If you prefer to do your own, I certainly understand!

You need a synthetic oil that meets VW 502 00 spec (can be found on the back of the container). You should be looking at 5W-40 or 0W-40. The only two I can commonly find in auto parts stores are Castrol (5W) or Mobil 1 European Formula (0W). If the 0W-40 is appropriate for your climate and you don't mind paying a little more for it, you will get better fuel economy (I see about 1-1.5 mpg increase over 5W-40). You will need 5 quarts/liters, plus you may want to buy one extra quart for topping off between changes.

Also, a word of advice: Go buy the filter from the dealer. I tried a couple generic filters from the auto parts store and they had shoddy o-rings, causing oil to seep out at the top of the filter canister. The filter from the dealer is approx the same price as the generic ones anyway (it was actually a dollar cheaper at my dealer!)

For future reference, you can buy OEM filters in bulk as well as German Pentosin 5W-40 synthetic oil in a 5-liter jug from ECS Tuning. http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Engine

Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 PM

Yep.

I totally agree with the above. I've used both the Pentosin from ECS and Mobil 1 0w40, and both are great. I'll also suggest replacing the drain plug with the magnetic version. I noticed a bit of metal "fuzz" on my plug the last change.

Also, if you do a search on Ebay, there is a guy selling the correct 6-point 36mm socket for our oil filter canister. I haven't bought the bleeding tool yet, but it's on my list.

Cheers!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:53 AM
2nd Gear

Chef- did you get your magnetic drain plug from ECS? That sounds like a good idea.

I also need to pick up the drain tool one of these days, I've just been using a flat screwdriver. I found the socket for the filter canister at Advance Auto Parts for like $4 or $5.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 AM

Yeah, I bought my drain plug from ECS.

Cheers!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM
2nd Gear

Chef what do you think about adding the oil topic to the noob section ?

Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 AM

Added to the information thread.

People need to be using the correct oil or you'll screw your engine up in the long run.

Cheers!

Old 12-08-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

OK...super noob question although I'm not a noob on the forum, I am when it comes to maintenance. I am about 75% down on oil. Want to add with Mobil 1 0w40 but I don't know what the dealer used. Nothing has been done since I bought the car and i'm just over 4,000 miles. Is it bad to only add oil or shud I go through the oil change process? Also, since I don't know what the dealer used shud I not mix oils?

Old 12-08-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

I asked my dealer what oil they put in mine so I could match it. They sell it in the parts department by the bottle, but they also said if I need to top off, just stop by and they'd hook me up for free. Check with your dealer, especially if they do your service for you, and maybe they'll just fix you up.

I'm going to take a driving trip to California at some point, and I'll probably grab a bottle to take with me for that. I check my oil when I get gas and before I take off on a trip anyway though, so I won't bother picking up a bottle until I'll be out of the area for more than a couple of days.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear

You can mix different weights and brands with no ill effects so long as they are both synthetic and they both meet the standards for the car (VW 502 00). Mobil 1 0W40 is a good choice, or if you can make it to the dealer they will likely top you off.

As for what comes in the car off the lot, it should be 5W40, and Audi endorses Castrol. Not sure if that's what they put in at the factory in Germany though. Pentosin, maybe?

Quick Reply: What kind of oil to use?