Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What is a rcommended snow chain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear
Default What is a rcommended snow chain?

hello and thank you in advance for your help!

i want to buy snow chains for my A3 2006 with 225/45/R17. i really would like something that mounts easily, but i find only limited information. i would like to avoid the snow cables hassles, and look for some RUD chains but it seems they don't work on A3. Any suggestions? Also, is the autosock legal in the US? Do Spikes Spider need a special adaptor kit?

thanks!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Default RE: What is a rcommended snow chain?

Great questions. Seems like you have all of the information that we have discussed previously. The question is if the AutoSock will be accepted as a traction device, not if it is legal or illegal. Not sure about the Spikes Spider? I'd hate to spend the money on the AutoSock, get to the top of the pass, only to have the CHP turn me away and send me back down the hill.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

hey chef -- thanks for your reply. i share your concern about getting stopped at the top of the pass and being asked what *IS THAT*? that's why i am considering the spikes spider. however, i am not sure if there is a specific mounting kit i need for those. they seem to go on the wheel nuts but i have no idea what size those are? 21mm? anybody?

Old 12-16-2007, 02:23 PM
SrK
1st Gear

This is an old post, I had a similar question.

I was looking at a product goclaw at flextrax.com has anybody tried this? I have a FWD 2002 A4 with a sport package and was wondering if these work well on our cars..

Thanks

Old 12-18-2007, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

has anyone used chains? if so, which ones and were they used on the stock 225/17/45 tires?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 AM

FWIW, I had the dealer explicitly explain that I was to NEVER put snow chains on my car. Not sure if you changed the wheel set-up if you'd have the same limitation???

There is another post on the Autosock that the CHP will not allow it as a substitute for chains.

Cheers!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 AM

Morning all.

I also have an A3 with the sline package, used some affordable self tightening chains this weekend in poor icey conditions. Unfortunately they rubbed the front strut on the inside wall and the chains failed. I ended up getting Thules k-summit size k23 (225/45/17) and haven't looked back. $400, but it does not attach to the inner side wall. Do a YouTube search on "Thule k-summit" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ5rGus8EVw . You'll be amazed! And, no strut damage for us low clearance kids. My only complaint is the $400 part, but better safe than sorry. But a major pro is not having to reach behind the wheel to attach and align it... At night in wet conditions that is utter torture!

Last edited by adrianderekluna; 02-13-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

If the weather is so bad you really need chains, you need to stay home, rent an AWD with good snows, or get a disposable designated snow vehicle. After seeing a guy get a quote for way over $2000 in body and suspension work because of a loose chain, I can't imagine why anybody would take that risk. He needed chains to go about a mile to the store. Ain't worth it.

My DSV was an old Ford Courier pickup that I got for $1200. Mostly because it had now oversize all-season tires on it, and the brakes were OK. Kept liability insurance only on it, and extra weight in the bed. It had a great heater and defroster, started in the cold, and was always available to friends for moving in exhchange for a fillup or an oil change. In the 4 years I had it I only paid for gas maybe a couple times a year, and never paid for any service. I sold it to another friend for ... $1200. And borrowed it back from him when I needed to go to the dump.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear
Default what about these?

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Chain...=pd_sim_auto_2

I saw these on amazon the other day. Scroll down to the Product Description, and there's a picture where you can see how far the chain goes around the back of the tire.

A quote from the page:

"Based on the "Z" family of products, the Super Z6 is designed for vehicles with restricted clearance around the drive tires. The Super Z6 requires only 6.33 millimeters (.25 inches) of sidewall clearance to operate, less than half the space required by most cable and tire chains."

Has any one tried these? They're MUCH cheaper than the Thule's or the Spikes Spider

Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 AM

I have to admit, that low clearance cable might just work. With the sline package, the only thing really hitting the strut is the inner connection unit. That Z6 low clearance cable set has a low profile connection unit shown in the images. Pretty cool. I'd purchase them and test them out if I didn't spend the $ on the k-summits.

Quick Reply: What is a rcommended snow chain?