Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What should I be looking for when buying coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:16 AM
1st Gear
Default What should I be looking for when buying coilovers

Like the title says, what should I be looking for when buying coilovers. I mean what should the criteria when I am choosing between say KW Variant 2, Koni or Bilstein PSS. They all seem to be adjustable for custom heights, besides price variation between them they all seem pretty much the same. Is one a better brand over another.

What is the difference between damping and compression adjustment?

Any pointers on which to choose are welcome

Old 05-19-2007, 03:58 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: What should I be looking for when buying coilovers

KW V2 are one of the very few out there that you can adjust not only the height, but the dampening. so you can have a street setting, and when you're ready to take it to the track or a fun canyon run, you can make it stiffer so you get less body roll. as for the other brands, the dampening is preset by the manufactor and can't be adjusted, althought they'll let you adjust the height of your car though.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

depends whats you want overall. Are you trying to get low to the point where the ride quality is jacked or just daily driving where its smooth. If your not gonna do any tracking or tamper with the dampers thne just stick with springs no point of coilovers.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:01 PM

Also, some have the same spring rate, while others have a progressive spring rate. The progressive will be more forgiving on daily driving but still be very stiff through corners and such. A true track car would want the same spring rate so it can be more finely tuned and stable through the track. Personally, I don't see messing with the dampening much as I don't intend on my daily driver to be a track car, so I went with the Koni's that have the progressive spring rate, but are also a wonderful set of coilovers.

Cheers!

Old 05-20-2007, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wrx112

depends whats you want overall. Are you trying to get low to the point where the ride quality is jacked or just daily driving where its smooth. If your not gonna do any tracking or tamper with the dampers thne just stick with springs no point of coilovers.
Well you see, I have the premium package on my car and hence no factory sports suspension. So my car is quite sloppy around the corners. I was planning on getting a RSB installed, but to be honest I don't think that will help all that much or as much as I would hope, considering the lack of sport suspension. Sometimes it feels like I'm going to fall out the window when I go around the corners [8D] I'm not someone who will be taking my car to a track any time soon. But all the same I do enjoy a good hill/country cruise I do realize getting stiffer suspension will take away the nice smooth riding that I have right now.

I'm not one that wants my car lowered for the looks, but realize getting it lowered will help with the cornering, so I know that is going to happen. I basically want my car to be most responsive through the corners and I want to try to cut down on the body roll. So I was shopping around and found that MJM here in San Antonio are doing a special on Koni Coilovers and a free Nuespeed RSB. So I was thinking of doing that instead. But I know Audinam went with KW V2's and I was wondering what the difference with each brand is.

I mean from what I can see this is how they fair:

KW V2: Progressive rate springs, Individual height adjustment, Damping adjustment (rebound, V3 has compression)
Koni
: Progressive rate springs, Individual height adjustment, Damping adjustment (rebound)
Bilstein PSS9: Progessive rate springs, Individual height adjustment, Damping adjustment (rebound & compression)

So to me the Koni and KW V2 seem to have the same feature set, but in general the Koni are cheaper.

ORIGINAL: Chef

Also, some have the same spring rate, while others have a progressive spring rate. The progressive will be more forgiving on daily driving but still be very stiff through corners and such. A true track car would want the same spring rate so it can be more finely tuned and stable through the track. Personally, I don't see messing with the dampening much as I don't intend on my daily driver to be a track car, so I went with the Koni's that have the progressive spring rate, but are also a wonderful set of coilovers.

Cheers!
Are you getting the Koni CoilOver Kit 1150-5080 or is it seperate struts and springs?

Old 05-20-2007, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: quadric

Are you getting the Koni CoilOver Kit 1150-5080 or is it seperate struts and springs?
That's my kit and it should be here next week!

I'll let you know how I like them.

Cheers!

Old 05-20-2007, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I reckon I might go with them, well that is the way I am leaning atm. I need to head down to MJM in a week or so when they get my APR exhaust shipped from APR. Was going to get the APR code put on at the same time, as well as the RSB. So might as well just spend the extra $$ and get the Koni Coilovers with the FREE Neuspeed RSB Man I can't wait[8D]

Old 05-20-2007, 03:41 PM

You're dropping a chunk of change, but you'll really enjoy the experience!

Cheers!

Old 05-20-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

I have a bit of spare cash laying around thehouse, so to speak

Old 05-21-2007, 01:49 AM
SoCal Crew Member

I didn't know you can adjust dampers on the Koni Coilvers, i thought it was only the height that you can adjust.

Quick Reply: What should I be looking for when buying coilovers