Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Wheel Noise... Inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Default Wheel Noise... Inside

I'm new to the forum, but have been an Audi A3 owner since August 2007. I love my car. 2006 2.0T bought it used from a dealer. Wasn't ready for the frequent oil adds, but it's all good. Anyways, I recently went on a ski trip and while coming back noticed that the noise inside my car became slightly louder. My buddy said maybe it's the wheel bearings or that it could be just the tires themselves. Anyone out there experienced this? Do wheel bearings need to be changed after 30,000 or 35,000? I've got almost 40,000 on my car now.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Wheel Noise... Inside

Hi Barney,

I'm a noob myself, so I feel pretentious 'welcoming' you, but welcome any how!

Check your tires, if they are the Pirelli P6's there has been LOTS written about how much noise those OEM tires create. I have a different pirelli tire here, that while not horrendous, are not silent either. But from what people say about the p6's, they seem like a pretty horrendous tire!

My speed shop here in Taipei recommends that I change to Bridgestone PS2s when the time for a tire change comes up. I've heard great things about the tires from many boards online. They are supposed to give excellent grip, long-wear, and very quiet operation.

I would hope it's the tires making the noise, wheel bearings sound expensive!(But I'm a noob, so I don't know if they actually expensive!) But with the mileage you have on the car, it's probably time to think about a new set of rubber anyhow!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: TPE_A3
My speed shop here in Taipei recommends that I change to Bridgestone PS2s when the time for a tire change comes up. I've heard great things about the tires from many boards online. They are supposed to give excellent grip, long-wear, and very quiet operation.
I think that you are right on and you can't find a better tire than the PS2's at the moment, but you're not going to get long-wear. Sorry. Also, I did a lot of comparing and for a chunk less change you can get the Yokohama S.Drives which are very close to the PS2's in looks and performance, but nearly half the price. I guess it depends on how much you have to spend on rubber?

Cheers!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

Good call on the S.Drives, those are great tires at a good price.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

Shipo and Chef,

You guys really rock! But Chef causes me to spend with the one hand (mods!) and save with the other (sensible mods!). I'm going to lower my car on the stock rims and tires, and when my tires need to be changed, change the rims and tires, and readjust the suspension. My car looks a little bit like it wants to go off-roading, the wheel gap is out of control high! So drop it first, then when I need new tires, get them and the rims together. The shop said no charge for changing the suspension for the 18inch rims, though, would changing the rim size change the tire dimensions? My understanding is that if the rim has a larger diameter, the tire wall is shorter to give the same overall dimension. Am I right?

Old 03-08-2008, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

Hi: I suggest you check the tires. If they're the Perelli P6 stock tires, they may be making the noise. My A3 came with the P6s and after 10K they were so noisy--really obnixously noisy--I took them off and replaced them with Continentals. They are much much better.
Good luck.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 AM
L7
1st Gear

WOW. If those P6's made it to 40K that would proabably be a record for A3 owners. I don't think anyone has kept them on for that long. We just put new tires on the wife's SUV, so I have to wait until about 25K to replace those P6-O-S's......
Guys - thanks for the tip on the Yoko's. Anyone have Continental Extreme Contacts out there? What do y'all think of those?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: TPE_A3

Shipo and Chef,

You guys really rock! But Chef causes me to spend with the one hand (mods!) and save with the other (sensible mods!). I'm going to lower my car on the stock rims and tires, and when my tires need to be changed, change the rims and tires, and readjust the suspension. My car looks a little bit like it wants to go off-roading, the wheel gap is out of control high! So drop it first, then when I need new tires, get them and the rims together. The shop said no charge for changing the suspension for the 18inch rims, though, would changing the rim size change the tire dimensions? My understanding is that if the rim has a larger diameter, the tire wall is shorter to give the same overall dimension. Am I right?
You are correct about the overall tire size. Most go with a smaller aspect ratio when increasing the rim size to try and stay with the same overall diameter. You can significantly hurt your car's performance if you aren't careful about the wheels you purchase. Increasing size can increase weight and overall mass which will be a detriment to performance. Do some research before you commit. Also, in general, the lower the aspect ratio will cause you to feel more of the imperfections in the road.

Cheers!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Barney

I'm new to the forum, but have been an Audi A3 owner since August 2007. I love my car. 2006 2.0T bought it used from a dealer. Wasn't ready for the frequent oil adds, but it's all good. Anyways, I recently went on a ski trip and while coming back noticed that the noise inside my car became slightly louder. My buddy said maybe it's the wheel bearings or that it could be just the tires themselves. Anyone out there experienced this? Do wheel bearings need to be changed after 30,000 or 35,000? I've got almost 40,000 on my car now.
I put 45,000 miles on the Conti pros that came with my car new. They were extremely loud, and for the last 2000 miles or so, there has been this loud rubbing noise coming from the front tires at speeds over 40. I am getting YOKO's put on my car as we speak. I would check the tires, that could be it.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

Chef,

I think I'm going to go with BBS RG-Rs when I do it. (or maybe CH's, though I really don't like the center of those wheels) They are forged, around 20lbs a wheel, and, I think, good looks and high-quality, safe rims. Am I right on that? Other suggestions?

Oops, forgot to add...the wheels would be in 18inch size.

Quick Reply: Wheel Noise... Inside