Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Who has had their S-tronic "Mechatronic Control Unit" replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 09SilverA3
The A3 I just bought last month (2009 w/14K on the odometer) had the awful bucking, lurching, unexpected upshift/downshift, hard 1-2 shift, etc. problems. I scheduled an appointment at the local Audi dealer and dropped it off 3 days ago. They were "backed up" and still haven't even looked at it. I told them that it was exhibiting the exact symptoms of the Mechatronic Control Unit problems. They just said "we'll take a look and let you know". Anyway, the build date is within the voluntary recall (Sep 08 - Aug 09). So, I'm pretty positive the Mechatronic is the problem.

Who has had their's replaced? Did it fix the issue? If it doesn't, this car is not driveable...
Hi Rucky, we have a 2010 A3 with exactly same issue was replaced under warranty at 22,000 then at 26,000 plus teh mechatronic. But the clutch has failed 3 times since new. We have managed 50,000k's on 2nd clutch but its now starting to fail at 77,000ks. Audi not helping at all in Australia. we are trying to see if anybody has any joy with dealing with audi on the issue. IN=fact no joy on an estimation on the sort of lufe we can expect on the clutch. Not happy. How did you go?

Old 11-14-2017, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Rucky;1504875]If u look on my page I posted about this before, I have an A5 3.0 tdi 2009 reg. I had the exact same problems that have been described. So I plugged my snap-on solus in and sure as day it was a clutch temp fault. I did some digging around as I am in the trade and found that there was a tec bulletin as described for this known problem circulating only amongst the Audi dealer network as to make it public admits there is a problem that they should then recall the cars. This only really happens now a days over safety issues or emission problems. I managed to get a copy of the bulletin and my car fell into this. The tec advise to the dealers was to remove and strip the mec control unit and replace the circuit bord and then refit which is time consuming and tricky. But a dam sight cheaper then a replacement unit still. So I went to Audi Leicester armed with the facts. They wanted to diagnose it first even though I already knew what it was. They confirmed it and wanted to replace the Mec control unit at £3000. I then showed them the bulletin that was top securite and demanded a good will contribution. They checked my service record which had been done by Audi at that point. The car was well out of warranty with only 60,000 miles on the clock. But in all credit to them, they agreed to contribute on a 50/50 but we're still trying to sell me a complete Mec control unit. I told them the bulletin states u only replace the circuit bord. They agreed and my final bill was £250 !!! It pays
please help i have the same problem on my allroad a4 09 plate

Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

Hi Rose, So Audi Australia replaced clutch as goodwill but we had to pay labor cost not such a bad deal. And you get a 2 year warranty the repair. See what happens I guess. Based on its track record we can expect probably another 50k before it fails again. DO you happen to have that internal AUDI document. Would be useful going forward for sure. Cheers