Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Who's got a clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Who's got a clear bra?

Anyone?
I've never had one. Always think about it, but never end up getting it.
Anyone have one on their A3? Pics? Cost? Who installed it?

Old 07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Who's got a clear bra?

I don't have it - but I've looked into it. I was quoted $600 - $700 depending on the area covered.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

I DONT have the clear bra, but its been on my mind alot lately.

My A3 is black and lately I have been noticing plenty of little scratches, nicks, dents, bad swirl marks, and bug guts.

Mostly ALL on the front end section. Some up my front hood as well. And on the outside of my side view mirrors.

Makes me wish I had chosen another color rather then brilliant black.

When I do a wash and wax it usually disguises all those nicks and scratches for awhile, but there always going to be there of course.

I have heard good reviews about the clear bra. I probably wont get the clear bra, since I should have the 1st week I got my A3. Now I just live with the fact the nicks and scratches are going to happen.

But I dont see the point of NOT getting the clear bra, especially for the front end nose area of the car and 1/2 the hood. It will only protect.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

If you decide to get it, make sure you can check out some work that the installer has done prior. I have seen some BAD clear bra jobs done. I'm talking being able to visibly see the line where it ends. Also, if you have a dark car, you have to use a clear wax, otherwise you WILL get wax residue along the edge of the bra.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: dcny7777
But I dont see the point of NOT getting the clear bra, especially for the front end nose area of the car and 1/2 the hood. It will only protect.
Because it costs time and money to install, and some people don't think it's worth whatever marginal "protective" value it adds.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:34 PM
L7
1st Gear

Oh. Not the topic I was thinking it was.
I am hoping that I'll see one or two at the GTG either on August 4th in Cockeysville, MD or the one in Towson on August 12th. This is the string from the South Forum: https://www.audiforums.com/m_559092/tm.htm

Old 07-30-2007, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

I had a clear bra installed by Formula One. It was around $700 but a few people told me their adhesive system is better than the slightly cheaper 3M. So far I am pleased and it has obviously deflected a couple of bigger rocks. The only things to consider is that 1) depending on the color of your paint, you may see atiny difference in sheen where it's placed, and 2) there will be a couple of edges that will accumulate dirt if not stuck down well.

Installers say the Audis are pricier to fit because of all thesections andcurves on the grille; the film has to be stretched carefully or it won't appear symmetrical and flat.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

Holy crapola... pretty pricey.
You could re-paint the front bumper a couple times for that price. [&o]

Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I thought about that, but then I took into account the quality of the average 'affordable' paint job, the price of an Audi service dept paint job and how the car would look in between re-paintings. As much road construction happens in my area, it was a good idea.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

I have Lamin-x headlight and driving lightcovers on both my Audi and BMW. I got some extra material and covered the back of the mirrors on the BMW. For the headlights on my BMW, there is a HUGE difference between my car an anyother '01 BMW. My cover look brand new. The headlight/driving lights

With all that said, I don't have the full front end kit on either car. I've also been quoted $600 to do it. I can see where it would be worth the money if you plan on keeping your car. Tho the headlight/driving lights I did my self, I can see where doing the entire front end could get complicated.

My buddy has his Merc ML front end done and all you can see is the slight line across the hood where the vinyl ends. His ML is black btw.

Quick Reply: Who's got a clear bra?