Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

wierd anooying downshift

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:37 AM
1st Gear
Default wierd anooying downshift

i was driving home from school dooing stop and go traffic @ the 57 during rush hr.
as soon as i exited from the freway my dsg transmission went crazy.
everytime i slowdown in D automatic mode (from 2nd to 1st) i can feel the gear changing very hard
i can feel the hard jolt/nudge/lurching and its very anooying. (its like getting rammed from behind @ 2mph)
i also notice that the rpm actually went down when the gear is shifting to 1st.
its not the gear clunk from 2 to 1 that we all know; much much noticable its broken or something.

i parked the car @ home for 5 min and i started up again to get some food; everything went fine, no hard downshift. (ecu reset?!?)
anyone has simillar issues ?

aniway, im going to penske tomorrow to get it checkout and look around the new dealership.

Martino

Old 05-18-2007, 08:28 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: wierd anooying downshift

ORIGINAL: t1noandaudi
i parked the car @ home for 5 min and i started up again to get some food; everything went fine, no hard downshift. (ecu reset?!?)
I know on the A6 (so I assume same on A3) the ECU reset occurs after 20 minutes. It takes that long before the system truely turns off. Until then, it's in "sleep" mode.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: t1noandaudi

i was driving home from school dooing stop and go traffic @ the 57 during rush hr.
as soon as i exited from the freway my dsg transmission went crazy.
everytime i slowdown in D automatic mode (from 2nd to 1st) i can feel the gear changing very hard
i can feel the hard jolt/nudge/lurching and its very anooying. (its like getting rammed from behind @ 2mph)
i also notice that the rpm actually went down when the gear is shifting to 1st.
its not the gear clunk from 2 to 1 that we all know; much much noticable its broken or something.

anyone has simillar issues ?
aniway, im going to penske tomorrow to get it checkout and look around the new dealership.
Martino
No but that must be hard on the tranny to have the car shift to 1st before coming to a full stop. It always downshifts to 2nd and then there is a lag before shifting to 1st with little vibration when coming to a stop.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:16 PM
2nd Gear

I heard others on vwvortex having those problems as well. (quite a few actually) Take it in to service and see whats up.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

i took it down to penske this morning and they did the I3 ecm update.
car is smooth shifting is more prescise.
they couldnt replicate the problem. and they said no error is showing up on the computer.
i think problem is still there its just wont show up @ the right time. i dunno how im gonna show this to them.
we'll see

Old 05-23-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

happen again today after exiting the crazy traffic over 57 freeway.[:@]
my car is borked

Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Umm your car is under warranty, no? Then why havent you taken it to the dealer yet?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: RasLion

Umm your car is under warranty, no? Then why havent you taken it to the dealer yet?
oh sorry. i did i'll just copy paste my post from other forum

hmmm i think my dsg is borked
i went to penske last week to get my car checked out and they also did the ECM I3 update.

btw service over @ penske is top notch.

my problem:
my car is lurching/jerking (its like getting rammed from the back at 1-2mph) every time the car is automatically down shifting from 2nd to 1st (when im slowing down).
so far it happens 3x and every single time when I'm exiting from the freeway stop and go traffic. very anooying and i thought my transmission is gonna died or something.
i also notice that my rpm is droping and it seems like the clutch is slipping to grab the 1st gear.

they check for errors; but they say everything is fine.
i did a road test with one of the tech and we couldn't duplicate the problem.
anyone have any idea or similar problem?

i did some research all over the online forums, and some said hot weather and some got their issue resolved by actually replacing the mechatronic of the DSG transmission.

please advice

thank you
Martino

Old 05-23-2007, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

I'm not sure why you are stuck on using penske. Audi mechanics at the dealerships... well... see Audi's every day. How many A3's do you think those guys at penske have worked on? The Audi mechanics not only work on Audis every day but probably have way more resources to find the solution to your problem. Not only that.. when they do find the problem they fix it for free assuming the car is under warranty.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

ok took my car in today to penske
chris helped me out
they checked the car and he gave me a call back that according to audi techline the car need a new throttle body control or something like that and a new mechatronic system.
but then he said neither US or Germany have the part.
i am waiting for an answer on friday. meanwhile im rollin on loaner
wish me luck
Martino

Quick Reply: wierd anooying downshift