Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Window tinting questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Window tinting questions

Hey all!

First of all, I'm super excited to join the board here. This seems like a really great group. I just got my Lava Gray 2007 A3 3.2 Quattro a month ago and I couldn't be happier. It's pretty much fully loaded - Premium Package, Cold Weather, Bluetooth, NAV+, Open Sky, S-Line, 18" Rims, etc. My first mod I decided will be tinting and I had a few questions.

First of all, the few shops I narrowed it down to offer Protect Gard, Solarware (sp?), Madico, Soltek and Suntek films. Has anyone had any experience with any of these brands and/or has any preference? Second, a lot of places are trying to convince me to not go metal because my car could have an integrated antenna in the rear windshield. I can't tell, is the antenna really integrated into the rear windshield on the A3? If so, how much does metal affect it. Also, does it affect cellphone reception? I would only prefer metal because it lasts longer, although some shops are saying that they used non-metallic films which are not dyed and last almost as long. I haven't heard of these, as I thought all films were either metallc, dyed or a hybrid. Again, any thoughts or comments?

Anyway, glad to be part of the board and hope to post a lot more in the future! Thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Window tinting questions

I have the reflective titanium tint and have had no problems.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tonicboy

Hey all!

First of all, I'm super excited to join the board here. This seems like a really great group. I just got my Lava Gray 2007 A3 3.2 Quattro a month ago and I couldn't be happier. It's pretty much fully loaded - Premium Package, Cold Weather, Bluetooth, NAV+, Open Sky, S-Line, 18" Rims, etc. My first mod I decided will be tinting and I had a few questions.

First of all, the few shops I narrowed it down to offer Protect Gard, Solarware (sp?), Madico, Soltek and Suntek films. Has anyone had any experience with any of these brands and/or has any preference? Second, a lot of places are trying to convince me to not go metal because my car could have an integrated antenna in the rear windshield. I can't tell, is the antenna really integrated into the rear windshield on the A3? If so, how much does metal affect it. Also, does it affect cellphone reception? I would only prefer metal because it lasts longer, although some shops are saying that they used non-metallic films which are not dyed and last almost as long. I haven't heard of these, as I thought all films were either metallc, dyed or a hybrid. Again, any thoughts or comments?

Anyway, glad to be part of the board and hope to post a lot more in the future! Thanks in advance.
Since you have a NAV/Sirus Radio you can't use metallic film. A dual band cellphone can have its reception impacted by metallic tint. Best recommendation should use a ceramic based film such as Madico Advanced Ceramic film.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

Since you have a NAV/Sirus Radio you can't use metallic film. A dual band cellphone can have its reception impacted by metallic tint. Best recommendation should use a ceramic based film such as Madico Advanced Ceramic film.
Hey John,

Thanks for the info. I'm curious why the metallic film would affect the NAV/Sirius? I can understand why it would affect the AM/FM antenna and any cellphone, but if I have the shark fin antenna on the roof, wouldn't this circumvent the film altogether? My NAV/Satellite is OEM factory installed, not a retrofit. Also, why do you specifically point out dual-band cellphones as susceptible to metallic tint? Is the situation different with single-band or triple or quad-band? By the way, my phone is a quad-band GSM (Cingular Treo 650).

-Tonicboy

Old 12-28-2006, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

[
ORIGINAL: tonicboy

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

Hey John,

Thanks for the info. I'm curious why the metallic film would affect the NAV/Sirius? I can understand why it would affect the AM/FM antenna and any cellphone, but if I have the shark fin antenna on the roof, wouldn't this circumvent the film altogether? My NAV/Satellite is OEM factory installed, not a retrofit. Also, why do you specifically point out dual-band cellphones as susceptible to metallic tint? Is the situation different with single-band or triple or quad-band? By the way, my phone is a quad-band GSM (Cingular Treo 650).

-Tonicboy
Ok, Sirius runs at 2.320-2.3325 Ghz, and XM at 2.3325-2.345 GHz, NAV is typically receiving a GPS signal at 1.5 Ghz so it doesn't take much metallic shielding to attenuate a microwave RF signal. If the antenna is in the window, or someplace inside the car, then metallic film would impact your reception. As you say if the NAV/GPS antenna is physically located outside in the shark fin then this is a non-issue. I forgot that if you got Sirus option that the antenna is on the roof.
On cell phone's you have parity with how lower frequencies got too busy with competition (WIFI, appliances) and had to scale up in frequency to get better reception at a cost of range. All the frequencies used are technically microwave and we first started with 824 Mhz to 894 MHz Band for analog cell communication, then jumped to 1.85 to 1.99 GHz Band for digital GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) or CDMA (Code division multiple access- frequency hopping) operation. Your Cingular Treo 650 is a quad-band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM radio with support for both GPRS and EDGE data service. I'm glad you went with Cingular as they have pretty good cell coverage versus competition.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the detailed explanation - the geek in me appreciates it!!!

Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

Not to say my man John s1 does not know what he's talking about but my tint has titanium in it and i have had no problem with my sat. radio (xm) or my Nav, or my cell(quad band)

Old 12-28-2006, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: stryker

Not to say my man John s1 does not know what he's talking about but my tint has titanium in it and i have had no problem with my sat. radio (xm) or my Nav, or my cell(quad band)
Hey Stryker if you are using HP Titanium Film (reflective) then it is a Hybrid film not a true metallic film. Also just doubled checked the shark fin on roof does contain both Sirus and Nav+ antenna's.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear

So what we've concluded is that since the antenna (shark fin) is on top of the roof and contains capabilities for both nav and satelite radio that one can carry any type of tint ie.
metal, hybrid, or el cheapo and not have to worry about reception?
Thanks for the in depth info. BTW i have the INNO from pioneer xm radio nice little device portable and great reception.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:32 PM

Anyone have any pics of a Black A3 with Tinted windows? I'm thinking of tinting mine but I dont want it to look cheap or cheezy and I'm having a hard time visualizing what it might look like. thanks!

Quick Reply: Window tinting questions