Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*UPDATE* Need experts opinion.... PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 PM
1st Gear
Default *UPDATE* Need experts opinion.... PLEASE READ

Hi guys,

Ive been a daily visitor of Audiforums.com since I got my 2001 Audi A4 1.8tqm back in February.

Here's my problem:

This past August I had my car running like sh*t putting out codes p01287 and p0300-303 (misfires). When this happened I was 1000km away from the nearest dealer and not one mechanic I brought it to knew what to do to fix my problem. I ended up buying a new DV and that didnt fix the problem. But after alot of tampering with trying to clean the maf and injectors and changing plugs and swapping the coil packs i somehow got it running better than before. (good enough to make the trip to college (ottawa, ont.) and to the dealer.

When I brought it in they told me I had a couple problems. The first being that I had a problem with the wiring leading to the MAF being code p0102 and I had a bad MAF. They wanted 1 hour to change out the MAF and a couple hours to fix the wiring problem. At the time I was tight on money so I told them id buy the MAF and swap it out myself (also, I basically laughed that they thought i was going to pay them 92.00 to change out my maf which took me 10 minutes to do haha). So after replacing my MAF good so I decided to wait until January where i would have a job and get the wiring problem fixed.

Well after driving over 7000km I got screwed bigtime this weekend. I had just left my girlfriends place (montreal) and a couple blocks away I got the flashing check engine which caused me immediately to stop into a parking lot. The car was also misfiring. I pulled out my OBD2 scanner and it was throwing codes p0102 and p0303 being LOW VOLTAGE MAF and CYLINDER 3 MISFIRE. I reset the codes and turned the car back on. The codes where still there but the CEL wasnt flashing so i slowly drove 15mph back home..(2mile trip). I was then forced to come back to ottawa with her vehicle (250k trip) and now my car is stuck back over there until this weekend where i will go back.

So my problem is that the car is 25k from the nearest audi dealership.

Do I...

unplug the MAF or leave it plugged and make the 25k trip to the dealer while misfiring?? good or bad idea?

dish out the 115$ to get it towed at the dealer and then proceed to get raped by the stealership???

buy another MAF and bring it with me hoping that its just the MAF that is gone bad again???

PS. this happened after leaving my car outside over night in -2celcius weather and then letting it warm up about 10 minutes before leaving.
also, since august (the time i replaced my MAF) i have been driving it with the P1827 (DV circuit open) code on.. But it ran fine so thats why I kept driving it

Thanks in advance... OH, IF ANYONE IS NEAR MONTREAL AND THINKS THEY CAN FIX MY PROBLEM IM WILLING TO PAY 40$ an hour plus FREE BEER! haha
Hope my description was detailed enough... Maybe a bit too much...

Michael

Old 12-04-2006, 05:43 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Need experts opinion.... PLEASE READ

About a year ago I had the P0102 code and paid 1 1/2 hours
labor to read the code and replace the MAF. I used a remanufactured
one from ECS Tuning. It's still good.

Are you using a K&N air filter? Over oiling can cause problems.

http://1.8t.org/dealers/?fs=qc&sd=desc

Old 12-04-2006, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: CRAZYHAWK

About a year ago I had the P0102 code and paid 1 1/2 hours
labor to read the code and replace the MAF. I used a remanufactured
one from ECS Tuning. It's still good.

Are you using a K&N air filter? Over oiling can cause problems.

http://1.8t.org/dealers/?fs=qc&sd=desc
No im not using a K+N air filter but i am running the airbox mod... ive only been throwing the p1287 code since i did the airbox mod..

Thanks
Michael

Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

bump... nobody knows??

Old 12-04-2006, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

bump... nobody knows??

sorry double post

Old 12-04-2006, 09:39 PM
2nd Gear

Have the wire fixed, you probably are getting the code because the maf intermittently works. Most likely when you change it before it created a better connection in the wiring. The plugs are probably folwed also causing the misfire due to the limp mode dumping in too much fuel. The maf reading is causing all of you problems and if a shop looked at it and told you it needed rewired it should be pretty obvious where the broken wire is at because I doubt they would automaticly look for that.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tractioncontrol

Have the wire fixed, you probably are getting the code because the maf intermittently works. Most likely when you change it before it created a better connection in the wiring. The plugs are probably folwed also causing the misfire due to the limp mode dumping in too much fuel. The maf reading is causing all of you problems and if a shop looked at it and told you it needed rewired it should be pretty obvious where the broken wire is at because I doubt they would automaticly look for that.
Yeah, Im definetely having the wire problem fixed.. but im wondering whether there is a way to make a 25k drive or do i have to get it towed??

Thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear

Yes it would drive there, I don't recommend doing it considering it is in limp mode and is flooding the motor with gas and is running rich, 25,000 running rich could burn up your pistons and rings.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tractioncontrol

Yes it would drive there, I don't recommend doing it considering it is in limp mode and is flooding the motor with gas and is running rich, 25,000 running rich could burn up your pistons and rings.
Sorry my bad when I said 25k I meant 25km..... Its a Canadian thing... haha

Sorry guys

Old 12-04-2006, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear

Oh. Check engine lights flashing mean damage is being caused by driving. You could drive there and not see problems or it is possible it could blow the motor.

Quick Reply: *UPDATE* Need experts opinion.... PLEASE READ