Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*URGENT* please respond!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default *URGENT* please respond!!

this may be the worst question you guys ever read but what octane sould i be running on a stock 1.8 T?? cause there is a little sticker in the gas door that says 91 on it, i dont know if that refers to the octane i should be using cause ive heard of 91, and 93 octane chips. i know once i boost up the turbo then i have to switch to a higher octane but for now can i use 87?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Default RE: *URGENT* please respond!!

yes you can,but this is not URGENT so calm yourself. it's just that the dealer recommends you use a higher octane fuel for our cars, but its not the end of the world to use regular unleaded.

its also not that much more to just use the recommended fuel so why not right?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:54 PM
4th Gear

There are many threads about this........
my reply is always "use what the manufacturer recomends", which is 91 octane, not 87.
If you are chipped, you should run 93, unless you have a 91 octane program.
I run 93 octane religiously (chipped).

There are dissenting opinions about this, butI am right. If you want more info, go to the search at the bottom of the main page, and search "octane".

Old 08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

thanks for the info, i was just checking cause thats one of those things that can probably mess up an engine bad if you go to long. im gunna start running 91 soon anyway cause im getting a boost controler and im gunna start running about 17lbs. and as soon as i get this check from the insurance company im gunna chip the car witha 93 octane program. i was just wondering if for the next few days, and past week if i was hurting my car by running 87.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:03 PM
4th Gear

Just use 91 the next time.

Its not going to blow your engine or anything. Your just running the risk of pre-detonation, whick the knock sensor will kick in and change the timing. You'll lose a little power then, and of course, anytime your car is knocking to start with (before the sensor starts adjusting things) you are putting extra wear and tear on the engine components.

But for a little while there is very little risk.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:39 PM

I run 93 octane religiously
As do i. 91 is good, but for a couple cents more, why not just run 93? Price difference isn't that much, maybe .07 cents or so x 15 gallons +/- = $1.05

You'll never miss that dollar

Old 08-08-2007, 05:47 PM

miss a $ wow the car can run unleaded as we call it in the UK 95 is the lowest here but ill bet its about 87 over there but regardless to that the engine is designed to run on it

Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 PM
4th Gear

urgent, christ i thought your car was onfire with a baby inside and you needed to know how to change the batterys in your keyfob so you could get it out

Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Lazer Viking

urgent, christ i thought your car was onfire with a baby inside and you needed to know how to change the batterys in your keyfob so you could get it out
LOL yeah.
Next time save URGENT! For something a little more important than what fuel to run.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:01 PM

^^ I missed something?? but nevertheless the car is designed to run unleaded so the lower the content the less the power and mpg but its ok to run it

Quick Reply: *URGENT* please respond!!