Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.8T ATW members

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear
Default 1.8T ATW members

Hello AF members. If you have a 1.8T with engine code ATW, please reply to this thread and let me know what kind of mods and tune up you have done to your ride. From my search, it would seem that the ATW is an odd ball motor with little differences from the rest of the 1.8T engines. Seems to be manufactured only for the year 2000 model I guess. Everytime I read a post or chat about the 1.8T motor, it would references the AEB or the AWM motors. I would like to know who I cantalk toin regards to tune up or modify parts without always having to do additional research to see if it would pertain to the ATW.

With that being said. "Callin on all ATW owners". Lend me your info.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: 1.8T ATW members

you can do all the same things the only difference is you have to specify to your chip maker the year of you car because there are small tuning differences they have to account for

Old 06-09-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

I believe there are also some small differences like DBW(drive by wire), no ICM (ignition coil module), have secondary air pump etc. I also believe ATW have MAF and AEB don't? I think little things like that need to be address and noted for references. When trying to purchase parts, I didn't know that certain parts wouldn't work on ATW motors because they only fit AEB motors. It gets confusing specially if you decide to swap parts with other Audi or VW owners. If possible, this could be the top post to where anyone canreply withthelittle detail differences for clarification. Might preventrepetitive questions.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:33 AM
1st Gear

it matters for a chip and timing belt changes, that is all I know of

Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: sdboarder84

it matters for a chip and timing belt changes, that is all I know of
The parts for the timing belt might be different, but the process is the same. No big deal. Having an ATW isn't a big deal... but yeah, we do need ATW specific parts a lot of the time. As far as mods go, we can usually do everything the same... we obviously need different tuning, though.

And for the timing belt, sometimes you'll read that since our water pump is external, you don't need to change it when doing the timing belt... this is NOT true. You'd have to repeat 95% of the job, external or not... you can't get at the bolts because the oil pump pully covers them... and to remove the oil pump pully, you've gotta remove the t-belt.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

From your post reply, I'm assuming you guys are ATW owners? If so then its good to hear your thoughts and info. It is the little things that bugs me like trying to order ignition coil. There is a R version and E version from hitachi. I don't which to choose and I would hate to order one that won't fit my car. The only mods that I have plan for the vehicle is a chip,FMIC and maybe be K04. Thats as far as I want to go and if it ain't hard enough to buy parts within your means of limitation, now you have to figure out which parts are made particularly for that motor. I also don't know if there is a differences in HP gain when it comes to AEB, ATW or AWM when mods are the same but on different motor. Probably not much I guess. I just want a heads up from the ATW owner on certain parts that works best on ATW motors and to know more about the motor.

Thanks for reply

Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
4th Gear

Call the parts store and give them your VIN and ATW.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Site Moderator

Here's everything I could find. The ATW is most comarable to the AEB.

The bottom end of the AEB and ATW is the same except the ATW has 19mm wrist pins and the AEB has 20mm pins.
The ATW has significantly smaller intake ports than the AEB. But it also lacks VVT which all following 1.8t's get.
The ATW was the first to get throttle by wire.

I think there's some other stuff, but I can't remember any other significant differences.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:23 PM
4th Gear

The most important difference is that there isn't K04 tuning available for the ATW with tiptronic.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: EJ30157
I also believe ATW have MAF and AEB don't?
You mean MAP sensor?

Quick Reply: 1.8T ATW members