Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.8t questions 2.8 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM
1st Gear
Default 1.8t questions 2.8 questions

Hi,
I been trying to do research on these A4's , I like the looks of the car very much.

Yesterday I went to testdrive an A4 1.8t with chip- remus exhaust and some sort of susupension on it.

While driving it their wash this whooshing noise comeing from teh front at highway speeds, I was wondering if this is common. My friend had his subaru do something similar, and it turend out to be the diff in the rear. It was not as pronounced as what i was hearing in the audi so not sure if its the same thing.
Also the car did not seem very fast, I read about getting it chiped and makes a world of difference, I am almost scared to see what a stock 1.8t is like.

For the 2.8, how reliable are these motors, what is general consensous on milage that can be accumulated on these engines. I see many with over 110k but dont know how much longer they will last for.

I have not seen a FAQ section for each car, is there anything like this? Just trying to learn as much as possible before I make the plung.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2006, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 1.8t questions 2.8 questions

THere's a 2.8 FAQ on the top of the page.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:22 PM
3rd Gear

lol...you need to tell a couple members on this site what you just said...

"the chipped 1.8t was not very fast, im almost scared to see what a stock one is like"

hahahaha, i always try and convince people that a chipped 1.8 is nothing but weak sauce, lol... but nobody wants to believe me... everyone tells me i got "the slowest audi" lol, and my car is just as fast as a chipped 1.8t.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: AteUrV8

lol...you need to tell a couple members on this site what you just said...

"the chipped 1.8t was not very fast, im almost scared to see what a stock one is like"

hahahaha, i always try and convince people that a chipped 1.8 is nothing but weak sauce, lol... but nobody wants to believe me... everyone tells me i got "the slowest audi" lol, and my car is just as fast as a chipped 1.8t.
A stock 1.8t is weak sauce... But a chipped 1.8t is not weak sauce.. Its not crazy fast either... But what Id like to know is how you think your 12v a4 is "just as fast as a chipped 1.8t"??????????? Just cuz your sig says "raw 12v power" doesnt mean you get an extra 30 hp/tq from it.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

Ateurv8 can say WTH he wants, hes a legend. lol. But a 1.8 is slow compared to what. I mean what are you doing with it. I think their fast enough, maybe on average not M3 or S4 fast, but quicker than most and able to easily get you out of tough situations. Just my opinion.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

well im comeing from a 240 with sr20 running a gt28r on it. So I know it will not be anything near as fast as my 240, but I mean I had to floor it to get to freeway speeds, 0-60 run seemed to take forever.

My main concern at this point is witht he awd system, How dependable are the axles, diffs on these? Like I mentioned earlier thier seemed to be a whooshing noise comeing from the front while at highway speed, is this normal the way it is?

Whats a good roof rack system for these cars?

Old 07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: bayarea240

well im comeing from a 240 with sr20 running a gt28r on it. So I know it will not be anything near as fast as my 240, but I mean I had to floor it to get to freeway speeds, 0-60 run seemed to take forever.

My main concern at this point is witht he awd system, How dependable are the axles, diffs on these? Like I mentioned earlier thier seemed to be a whooshing noise comeing from the front while at highway speed, is this normal the way it is?

Theres somethiing wrong with it if you had to floor it to get to highway speeds. Getting to 80mph on the freeway for me is basicaly effortless.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
4th Gear

Maybe he has a boost leak or vacuum hose off somewhere, or bad DV

The noise is not normal. My chipped 1.8TQ gets to highway speeds very rapidly. In fact, 2nd and 3rd gear are where the power is most noticeable.

The drive train in these cars is very strong. If you have a bigger turbo you need to upgrade the stock clutch, but the tranny is rock solid.

If you need more convincing on the tranny, go here and look for the video about 5 posts down.

So, don't buy this one, find another that is running properly and you will like it.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

ORIGINAL: bayarea240

Theres somethiing wrong with it if you had to floor it to get to highway speeds. Getting to 80mph on the freeway for me is basicaly effortless.

A chipped car is still pretty slow .. are'nt you FWD ?

Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

ok, yea it had higher milage, Ill check into a lowermilage one see the difference.

Quick Reply: 1.8t questions 2.8 questions