Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8L Intake Manifold Project. Questions, Comments, Concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:31 AM
1st Gear
Default 2.8L Intake Manifold Project. Questions, Comments, Concerns.

Hey guys,
This project hasbeen in my dreams for quite some time now. I want to attempt to make a custom Intake manifold for the 2.8L V6. From what i know about upgraded intake manifolds they can unlock a decent amount of power. Not sure if its been done or talked about but heres my go at it...

My History : I have been involved in Paintball for may years. I have fabricated many parts from billet aluminum including bolts, rams, and other internal parts that are very sensitive to dementions and such. I think my skills will carry other to this project very well. I need some input from you guys so i can start this in the spring. In not just a noob with an idea...

Objective : To make the 'Runners' and intake 'ports' have better flow for increased power. I know a common mod is to simply have the intake manifold 'ported' but i believe making a new custom one will help air flow even more.

Materials : I have a few ideas about what to use for the project. I need to use the easiest to find, cheapest andeasiest to work with material.

1. Aluminum Block- Hardest to find,VERY VERYEXPENSIVE. Will be a biatch to work with but will come out with the best end result. Will need the widest array of tools (witch will mean more $$$)

2. Sheet metal/ Tubing - Easiest to work with, Cheapest. From what i know it will be able to handle the heat from the engine. Mandrel Bending will give the best flow in my opinion. Flanges will be very easy to cut up.

3. PVC / Pipes - VERY easy to work with. Cheapest. Im just wondering if i can find the right tubes and peices that i will be able to work with. And how i can make the bends i want. PVC seems to be a good choice but i just think i will run into too many problems.

Example : This is the 3.0L FSI Engine and as you can see just by looking at the pic, the intake seems to have more volume and is much wider. (I need a pic of the 2.8L Engine with the intake manifold off so i can see if there is room for improvement or this modwould be useless.) I also realize that because this 3.0L engine is physicaly larger it can have a larger intake manifold, but inmy possible project im hopeing i can find some 'wiggle room' to expand the size on the intake over stock.

Example : I realize a common mod is to widen the intake port as shown herebut i believe making a new manifold all together will increase flow even more. (again i need picks to see if there is room to shave / mod.) I will have to cut up custom gaskets for this project.

I realize now that any gain for the 2.8L V6 is good because we have so limited ways of getting more power from the Engine. Im just wondering what you guys think about this project. Questions, comments, concerns, ideasany thing will be helpfull. According to what feedback i get i will start plans and write-up's soon, and start the project in the spring. Please dont flame...just trying to think and help out.

Sorry if there are a few errors, its late and i wanted to get this up.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: 2.8L Intake Manifold Project. Questions, Comments, Concerns.

If you got a pair to fit on a 12v, I'd buy them.

also this seems like an ambitious project and I wish you the best of luck if you attempt it. I think PVC probably might have some issues but your other two options for material seem to be viable

Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 AM
1st Gear

If i could use PVC the project would take half the amount of time as compared to sheet metal. Thanks CAB509.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 AM
2nd Gear

i was under the impression that people around here just dump a couple bags of sand in their intake, and rev the car up to port and polish the intake manifold/head

Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

lol yeah i guess that was a popular thing to do at one point. (dam that was fun to read). I think im lookin for somethin a little better than sand in my engine.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 AM
1st Gear

Intake runner width/length are tuned just like a header for exhaust. They (the engineers at Audi) have gone to great pains to find the best compromise between low end torque (longer runners), high end hp (flow / shorter wider runners), and cost of manufacture. I find it hard to imagine that you will be able to acheive any sort of appreciable gain over what the factory came up with. Modeling it up in a 3d program like SolidWorks and then having an SLA or SLS (rapid prototype - think "print to plastic" or metal) made of it would be the best way to get a part that will seal properly and have all the characteristics of a cast aluminum part. The prototype would cost a couple thousand to have made though. Without a dyno test you won't have anything to go on besides seat of the pants / placebo effect anyway.

But hey if you get a kick out of fabbing stuff in aluminum and plastic have at it! Definetely post pics with any progress!

^rethinking the credibility of german engineers at this point

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear

Im sure that you are right in the fact that Audi most likely looked into great detail when making the intake manifold, but again i am looking for possible ways for power...my biggest hope is that a larger intake port on the manafold can be made. Besides weight and port flow coming in first priority, tweaking the runners is a work / idea in progress.

I am greatfull for your point about it being tuned already.
Yet we (2.8'ers) managed to get about 8hp out of headers and 7hp out of an exhaust so anything i can do with the manifold is worth it to me.

Love that VW commertial.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 AM
5th Gear

IMO your gona spend a lot of money to get either very little gains, or actually lose some power

Old 01-07-2008, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

I can appreciate the work, but I don't think you're going to get any reasonable gains/$. Maybe I look at that equation too often, but changing the dynamics of the manifold won't create much, if any, horsepower; it will change the placement of it. A dyno before and after is really needed here, but I bet you get a minimal HP gain on top end from increased flow at the cost of low end torque.

On the flip side, I applaud your efforts, and would encourage you to move forward on it as long as it's not a financial sinkhole. if it's gonna cost more than $100 and time to do as a prototype, you might think twice. People have already widenend their factory runners with little to no effect, I don't know how much better a totally new manifold would be.

best of luck
-Ryan

Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear

here are the steps to p&p your heads and manifold on a 2.8 12v

http://dgreg.phpwebhosting.com/audi/headworkshop/

http://dgreg.phpwebhosting.com/audi/imworkshop/

Quick Reply: 2.8L Intake Manifold Project. Questions, Comments, Concerns.