Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 audi a4 fuel door not locking

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM
1st Gear
Default 2005 audi a4 fuel door not locking

Hi everyone, I had a 2005 audi a4 and the fuel door doesn't lock. The switch retracts the black plastic rod but it doenst seem to come out far enough to engage the fuel door latch. Maybe a plastic piece is missing somewhere in tue fuel flap? Can anyone post a photo how their fuel flap looks like ?Thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

02 05 Audi A4 Fuel Filler Door | eBay. The second photo is how my fuel flap looks it.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

In your trunk on the right side near where the lid meets the side there is a 1.5" diameter plug in the carpet. If you remove that plug where should be a little plastic ring that you can pull to override the fuel door lock. See if its binding or caught on something.. Otherwise it could be either the lock solinoid is busted inside and catching.. Or the piece the solinoid engages on the fuel door is bent..

Old 05-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Banned

can you hear lock solenoid clicking, trying to lock? or totally quiet?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CryptoStorm
In your trunk on the right side near where the lid meets the side there is a 1.5" diameter plug in the carpet. If you remove that plug where should be a little plastic ring that you can pull to override the fuel door lock. See if its binding or caught on something.. Otherwise it could be either the lock solinoid is busted inside and catching.. Or the piece the solinoid engages on the fuel door is bent..
I pulled the plastic ring and it's not catching anything. It does not stick out enough to lock the fuel door. the first photo is exactly how my fuel flap looks like and the second photo had a plastic/metal clip that the first photo don't have. Am i missing the plastic/metal clip? is that why it doesn't lock?

Attached Thumbnails 2005 audi a4 fuel door not locking-audi-fuel-door.jpg   2005 audi a4 fuel door not locking-audi-fuel-door-2.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

I pulled the plastic ring and it's not catching anything. It does not stick out enough to lock the fuel door. the first photo (audi fuel door) is exactly how my fuel flap looks like and the second photo (audi fuel door 2) had a plastic/metal clip that the first photo don't have. Am i missing the plastic/metal clip? is that why it doesn't lock?

Attached Thumbnails 2005 audi a4 fuel door not locking-audi-fuel-door.jpg   2005 audi a4 fuel door not locking-audi-fuel-door-2.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ex56TT
can you hear lock solenoid clicking, trying to lock? or totally quiet?
Yes i can hear the lock solenoid clicking when i pressed the fuel door button or pulling the plastic ring but wouldn't lock. I pulled the plastic ring and it's not catching anything. It does not stick out enough to lock the fuel door. the first photo (audi fuel door) is exactly how my fuel flap looks like and the second photo (audi fuel door 2) had a plastic/metal clip that the first photo don't have. Am i missing the plastic/metal clip? is that why it doesn't lock?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

No, the solinoid engages the metal ring at the rear of the flap... If you leave your fuel door open and lock the car with the fob you should see the solinoid pop out about an inch..

Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

No, the solinoid engages the metal ring at the rear of the flap... If you leave your fuel door open and lock the car with the fob you should see the solinoid pop out about an inch..
Sorry for the late reply. I was away for a week. I tried open the fuel door and lock the car with the fob but the solinoid did not pop out about an inch. when i hit the button by the driver's door i saw the solinoid slide in. any idea what could it be? thanks!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

there are little plastic guides in the solenoid that shatter and bind against the shaft.. your probably going to need to buy a new one..

i suppose the other question is.. - is it really that important? besides my audis i've never owned a vehicle that had a locking fuel door..

Quick Reply: 2005 audi a4 fuel door not locking