Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Speed Noob Questions...Please Help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Default 5 Speed Noob Questions...Please Help...

hey i just got a mint '03 audi a4 1.8t quattro in 5 speed with 37,900 miles on it...I love the car and everything about it, but i have a few questions....

- If i take my car above 3k when shifting gears as soon as a push in the clutch the rpms spike up a little as a shift when i have my foot of the gas completely, is this normal?

-Sometimes when i shift, i hear a clunking sound...is it because i let out the clutch too quickly?

- Sometimes when im in neutral and downshift into second, it is somewhat hard to get into...when i shift it feels like something is pushing against it...

I would really appreciate your help...I think Audi is a great car, but i want to make sure that im driving it correctly and that the car is alright...Like i said, sometimes when i shift i hear a clunk, particularly in 2nd gear...i've only put 700 miles on it, so i assume in the short-run its okay, but long-term it wont be good for the trannny...

Thanks,
Nick D.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 5 Speed Noob Questions...Please Help...

Some times when i take my foot of the gas and the clutch my 2.8 hovers around a certain RPM and if im not fast enough with the gas pedal it will rise up some RPM i have never heard the clunking but try realising the clutch slower? i have noticed that in my A4 and it wont
shift till the car slows down to a certian speed

sorry i couldnt be more help but that is just my experice with my 2001 2.8

Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

The 'rpm spiking' is probably from your electronic throttle control. Silly computers do all sorts of funny things. As far as everything else, check your transmission fluid level. Maybe you're a tad low.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

I get a little resistance when I downshift into second in my 04 a4. I thought it was supposed to happen to prevent you from overrevving when your going too fast. Theres no resistance if your going slow.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 AM

i've never heard of a clunking when shifting...even when you let the clutch out early..all i hear if you do that is a grinding noise...

Old 06-15-2007, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

Upgrading your snub mount should help with the clunking during shifts.

When you say "in neutral and then downshift into 2nd", are you at a standstill, or moving? Or did you mean downshifting from a higher gear into 2nd? If you're downshifting from a higher gear while moving, try to rev-match, it'll make it shift easier, especially if you're going from 5th to 2nd or whatever. Push in the clutch, slip it into neutral, release the clutch, blip the gas pedal to get the RPMs up to where they should be for 2nd gear, then push in the clutch and it should easily slide into 2nd.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

you sure its clunking or just the clutch gripping hard cause if you do let the clutch out a little to fast or hard its just the clutch grapping and the 4 wheels kicking back in

Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 PM
4th Gear

its your tranny mounts, i had these same symptoms to a tee when i changed my mounts all of it went away, downshifting was easier, going 1st to 2nd was nice and clean and although i think the rpm spike could also be attributed to other things i havent really had it since i changed mine.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

The resistance you're getting in second gear is a common thing on A4s. Mine's got it like crazy sometimes can't even get into second even with fresh gear oil and a new clutch. 2nd gear is just a weak point on these cars. I think it's the synchros. Certainly feels like it. No worries though just a quirk you're gonna have to get use to I think. Enjoy!

Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 AM
4th Gear

trust it me it the tranny mounts. i thought my synchro was going too but with all the symptoms he telling us definetly sounds like the tranny mounts.

Quick Reply: 5 Speed Noob Questions...Please Help...