Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 octane on a 91 octane chip (CHIP PROBLEMS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Default 94 octane on a 91 octane chip (CHIP PROBLEMS)

i have nptoced that shince i got my chip its been great. a coupple days ago i put in 94 octane and i have a 91 octane chip (wasent thinking) and now it feels liek the car doesent ahve the power it did before i filled it up. does the 94 octane gas with the 91 chip cause a loss of preformance? also my borla exhaust and intake and new dv were put in and now the car seams slower then it once did. please help also does anyone know what the return policy for the giac chip is and if threr is one?

ALSO ALL ADDED MODS WERE INSTALLED CORRECTLY SO THAT HAS BEEN RULED OUT.
AND WITH THE CARBINO INTAKE THERE SHOULDENT BE ANY HEATSOAKE BEUCAE THE INTAKE IS COMPLEATLY SELAED OFF FROM THE TRUBO.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 94 octane on a 91 octane chip

hmmm i've heard you can lose power with intakes (heat soak etc). but exhaust should give you 10-15 right? maybe you lost back pressure (i have no idea what i'm talking about btw)? I have 91 chip and run 93 oct. I thought it would only make more power? not sure about that. congrats on the mods. maybe do a TBA now that you have the intake and exhaust. It shouldnt be caused by the DV (i think).

Old 07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Site Moderator

if you just recently got chipped, it still may be adapting. borla's exhaust diameter on the piping isnt big enough for you to lose too much back pressure. an intake will take a little pep away down low (1000-2000ish rpms), but will give you better throtle response. If your intake filter needed oiled, its possible that it was over oiled, or wasnt given enough time to saturate/dry properly before the car was driven and some of it got sucked onto your maf and it isnt reading right-giving you shitty performance. 94 octane shouldnt hurt anything. while my giac was adapting it made my ecu throw a bunch of codes and put me in limp mode. I cleared them and after that had no problems. Takes the chip 2-3 weeks sometimes a month to fully adapt. I was looking into giac's return policy at that time when this happend to me as well. Id say give it some more time.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

whats TBA???

maybe the intake or exhaust was put on wrong.....

Old 07-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Site Moderator

Throttle boday alignment/adaptation/adjustment-whatever. Since the battery/ ecu was disconnected for the chipping, you must do a TBA, the place where i got chipped didnt do that as far as i know and is the reason for my codes/extended adaptation period.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:48 PM

ok everything was put in correctly. i watched thewhole time. the exhaustisa direct bolt on and the intake doesent allow heat soak beucae you remake a box so there is no heat soak tothe intak...its fully coved also. and is it possible that beucause the chip is adjusting its self it had gotten a little less agressive then before? will i get the power i once had back? and also is is possiblei went into imp mode beucae 2 days ago i thoughtmy dv went beucae when i flored it thetrubo spooled buti didnt get any power. this was on and off...i wouldent get power then stop and try again and i would getpower....well im confused and dont know what to do? doesitmake sense that the chip could be readjusting with all the newstuff...intake dv and exhaust and it still is trying to recalibrate? man im so confused and dont know what to think any more

can i get a tba anywhere oronly from GIAC

Old 07-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: m5racer

ok everything was put in correctly. i watched thewhole time. the exhaustisa direct bolt on and the intake doesent allow heat soak beucae you remake a box so there is no heat soak tothe intak...its fully coved also. and is it possible that beucause the chip is adjusting its self it had gotten a little less agressive then before? will i get the power i once had back? and also is is possiblei went into imp mode beucae 2 days ago i thoughtmy dv went beucae when i flored it thetrubo spooled buti didnt get any power. this was on and off...i wouldent get power then stop and try again and i would getpower....well im confused and dont know what to do? doesitmake sense that the chip could be readjusting with all the newstuff...intake dv and exhaust and it still is trying to recalibrate? man im so confused and dont know what to think any more
it is possible that it is still adapting, and it is possible you are in limp mode. lots of things are possible, but you wont get reliable help unless you get your ecu scanned and let us know what the codes are, if any. If you have power one minute, and the next not, i would think that its still adapting. how long has it been since you got chipped?
Oh and get a boost gauge.. its a must.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:04 PM

its been over a week since its been chipped and i have a boost guage i jsut need the steering coloum housing for it and i can attach it. tonite im gonna see if i can get the car scanned. where can i get it scanned forfree in in toronto canada

Old 07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: m5racer

its been over a week since its been chipped and i have a boost guage i jsut need the steering coloum housing for it and i can attach it. tonite im gonna see if i can get the car scanned. where can i get it scanned forfree in in toronto canada
If its only been a week im sure its still adapting. give it another couple weeks before you freak out. If its still acting up after that, go get codes, write them down, have them cleared from the ecu and see what happens after that.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

how do you do a TBA??

Quick Reply: 94 octane on a 91 octane chip (CHIP PROBLEMS)