Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Remote Keyless Entry Programming

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Default 96 Remote Keyless Entry Programming

Hi, please help...
I just bought a 1996 A4 used. It came with a key with a light, a valet key, and a two button keyless entry remote. The remote did not work, I was told the battery needed to be replaced. I replaced the battery and it still does not work. Is there anyway to program the remote without going to the dealer. Thanks a lot.

Nick

Old 05-18-2004, 12:56 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: 96 Remote Keyless Entry Programming

ok the procedure must be completd in 30 seconds. You will need 2 car keys and all remotes you want programed, control unit will handle up to 4. Turn on ignition with key #1. Insert key #2 in drivers door lock , turn key locking door slowly,hold the key in the lock position ,with your other hand press both buttons on the remote until the car unlocks itself.Relock car holding key again press both buttons on remote #2 till the car unlocks itself again. Repeat this procedure for up to 4 remotes. Remember to leave ingition on till you are done entering remotes. Do not try and work locks with a remote you have entered till you turn the ignition off.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:24 PM

Thanks a lot. I will try that.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Well not only did i just try it but it works.

I knew there had to be away to do it without going to the dealer.

Thanks-Jestnomen

Old 08-10-2007, 07:29 PM

Brilliant! Thank you so much for those instructions. Saved me $250 from the dealer.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

quick question, I also recently aquired a 1996 a4 2.8 it only came with 2 keys one with a light one without, now it has the alarm because it beeps when i lock the door with the key, and the hazard light flashes, so I wanted to know if my car came equipt with a keyless entry system, and how can I find out for sure. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 AM
4th Gear

The following instructions are to reprogram your switchblade key fob.

1. Take a spare key and insert it into the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

2. Roll down your window just in case. Step outside the car, and lock the car with a second key.

3. With your second key fob press the unlock button. The lights should flash.

4. Now lock the car with the key fob, and then unlock it.

5. Remove the key from the lock and the key from the ignition, and try it's function

Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Question 2 simple questions

Hi, I'll appreciate some help here:

1996 audi A4, 2 keys, NO key fob... plus the drivers Key Hole is not there, was already taken out when I got the car from the first owner. So every time I want to unlock or lock the car I have to go to do it through the passenger's side. I did it for 3 years now, now it's time to men up and Get a freaking key fob!

So:

1) which Key Fob should I buy for my car? Will any aftermarket do the job or has to be Audi Original
2) Will this procedure work if I do it on the passenger's key hole? (remember I don't have the driver's key hole, But I can lock and unlock all doors from here)

Thanks a lot and please help me figure this out

Old 07-26-2017, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

I have a similar problem. Bought used B6 A4 (2004). It only came with one key/fob. Worked fine for a year, but died. I went to the dealer, replaced the battery, but nothing. I bought a new fob online, but can't get it to program. Do I need to go back to the dealer to get it programmed?

Old 08-01-2017, 10:44 AM
2nd Gear

Are you asking about setting the key to lock/unlock doors or start the car? To program a key to start the car I believe you need to go to the dealer. If you just need to reprogram the key fob (that is linked to the car already) you need to do the following:

Steps to reprogram keys to a car they are already linked to:
1. Press and hold the unlock key on a remote
2. Insert key in ignition and turn to on (while still holding unlock)
3. Hold unlock while in the on position for 2 seconds
4. Turn key to off, remove from ignition and release button.

Quick Reply: 96 Remote Keyless Entry Programming