Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 A4 1.8t very slugish, turbo out? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Default 97 A4 1.8t very slugish, turbo out? HELP!

Got in car one morning to go to work. found car very sluggish. especially up hill. I figure the turbo is out. no engine light is on. have not checked codes. How do I determine if the turbo needs replaced or maybe just the wastegate or diverter valve? Have driven it for several months now in this condition. will thishurt the turbo worse if it is not completely out?

Now the car is idoling rough. When i first start it, it bogs down then dies. Then i start it again, it runs but idles rough. The check engine light is now on but i have nothad the codes checked out.when i put it in gear, its like the car wants to jump forward, like i'm gasing it when i'm not. when i drive, its fine except for the slugishness from the turbo not working. please help!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: 97 A4 1.8t very slugish, turbo out? HELP!

How to check the above:

Turbo, remove the tip and check for play. Move the wheel and if it moves in/out or side to side, its dead.

Wastegate, wiggle the arm and listen for rattling or notice any extra movement (should be solid)

dv, take out the airbox lid and filter, if the dv sounds like a wounded goose, its dead.

You should also check for damaged, broken or just plain missing vac lines. And as always, boost gauges are great tools to help diagnose these things

Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Default RE: 97 A4 1.8t very slugish, turbo out? HELP!

also have someone listen to ur car while ur driving...you would usually hear the turbo when accelerating might be easier than taking it apart. i have some problems with my turbo... i think i am running too much boost for my dv and it stalls when i build pressure...would help if we both had boost guages...