Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 AM
1st Gear
Default 98 key fob?

Did the 98's have a key fob for the alarm/keyless entry? The guy I bought my A4 from said he didn't know as he only had a key, which is ok the alarm still works but with my son in my arms I would like to just hit the button. If so then I will get a new one.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 98 key fob?

My 98 2.8qm does with the switchblade keys, since you only have a key does that mean you don't have to reprogram a switchblade for it to be able to start your car (obviously you do to use the keyless entry, I'm just asking about the imobilizer thing)

Old 07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

My key isn't a switchblade style either, just a plain old black key. I have to unlock my doors the old fashioned way by puting it in and unlocking it. I want to be able to just hit the button and have them unlock.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:47 PM

Hey I have a 98 and my keyless worked until i dropped my key. But what I think your trying to ask is if there is a keyless remote for the 98. The answer is yes. And they keyblade will start the car even if the key isn't programmed for your car.

One thing you need to be sure is the style of your key that your car is compatible with. My 98' key has the 2 button style remote while others have the 3 button style. I could be wrong, but i dont believe that the 3 button will work on a 2 button car or vice versa. I learned that the hard way. Also, the 2 button remotes are rare and hard to find these days.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Old 07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

to answer your question, yes. Its gonna be about $250 and a little hassle, but the dealer can hook u up with the key fob and program it. i think you need your title, and some ID. call the dealer and find out