Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 coolant problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 coolant problem

97 A4 with only 36,000; in the past month had new lines put in for ac from the dealer, then the oil cooler went--got that replaced from a local shop; today it looked like the coolant was low but didn't see any leaks. I added coolant; drove about 5 miles in very hot weather;shut downto get gas and noticed antifreeze smell. Opened the hood and antifreezewas leaking from the overflow. It never showed the temp increasing. During the past six months I do get a gurgling sound when Iacceleratethrough the dash I don't see any hoses it may be leaking from--it seems to leak after you shut off the car. Any ideas?

Old 07-09-2007, 10:47 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: A4 coolant problem

definitely check all ur hoses to see if they r tight. u can get this dye that u put in the coolant and then u take this special flash light and u can see the dye under the light. see where it is and change the hose. or do a thorough job and jsut change all the hoses

Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

i have the exact same problems....it leaks a whole lot after the car cools down, dunno know why? still need help

Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: solrac

97 A4 with only 36,000; in the past month had new lines put in for ac from the dealer, then the oil cooler went--got that replaced from a local shop; today it looked like the coolant was low but didn't see any leaks. I added coolant; drove about 5 miles in very hot weather; shut down to get gas and noticed antifreeze smell. Opened the hood and antifreeze was leaking from the overflow. It never showed the temp increasing. During the past six months I do get a gurgling sound when I accelerate through the dash I don't see any hoses it may be leaking from--it seems to leak after you shut off the car. Any ideas?

When you added coolant , did you go past the max line???

Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

no...i know i didnt....

Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

my old car used to do that all the time with coolant right after i added it... im not sure about audis but in my old car it was the extra coolant coming back into the container and would over flow just a bit....

Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

No, I definitely did not go past the max line. I noticed the coolant was very low (so I put some in) and it was fine last week...I didn't notice it leaking from anywhere before today.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear

sometimes the coolant bubbling out when there ISNT to much coolant is a good sign on a blow head gasket, ive trashed to engine, the exhaust is getting into the coolant and it needs to go somewhere so it will find a way. 36K on the engine highly unlikly unless you beat on it. May want to look just to be sure

Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

After keeping any eye on it for a week...I'm noticing the coolant goes back into the reservoir but it seems to take a very long time?? Sometimes I do hear a gurgling sound in the dash? Any ideas?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

might have air in the system...try burping it...and make sure u got the right coolant type and mixture

Quick Reply: A4 coolant problem