Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Reliabilty

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:19 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 Reliabilty

Ok this is my dillemma, I love the A4, I took one home for the weekend and it was everything what I was looking for in a car. But from what I heard they are a PITA. I have not had any personal experiences with European cars, I've stayed Japanese so far, but since I can't drive my Z in the winter I am looking for an A4. I am thinking of picking a 2002+ A4 Quattro 1.8t. This car will be used only to get to school and work, 30-40 miles of driving a day + some more on the weekends. I am concerned how reliable will it be, since I am prolly not getting an Audi under the warranty, I would like it not to break down on my every month (thats what happend with my Z), I need something reliable that I know won't die on me. It will stay stock. Can someone give me any suggestion and their own personal experiences with their A4s. Thanks! I'm debating whether I should get one or not.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:05 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: A4 Reliabilty

They aren't as reliable as Toyota or Hondas. They are average, but the mechanicals and electronics are very complicated, especially on the 1.8T. Few aftermarket parts, fewer shops that know how to work on them. Mine has been reliable, but not trouble free.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Zombie Defense Force

they are fine. you take care if it, it wont blow up

Old 09-07-2006, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

they will run forever. its the little things that get you. but iono abotu 02, but 01 and before, the 1.8T quattro manual is the most reliable engine/drivetrain audi/VW has ever built. you will be able to run that engine and drivetrain until youe seat falls through the floor and you wear the pedals to dust. just take care of it, and it will be reliable as hell

Old 09-07-2006, 04:36 AM
3rd Gear

just take care of it and it will take care of you

Old 09-07-2006, 04:40 AM
5th Gear

you took the words right out of my mouth
ORIGINAL: sandman

just take care of it and it will take care of you

Old 09-07-2006, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

Just go get it...... !!!!

Mutual loving is the key.... only thing is any car needs you to keep loving it for it to keep loving you.....

Just the way it is...

Old 09-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Administrator

mine melted away in the rain Jk

yea a car is only as reliable as its owner, and my car is a reliable one

Old 09-08-2006, 12:04 AM
5th Gear

A car is as reliable as you are. If you get it serviced when it needs it and do all the regular maintainence when it needs to get done you won't have too many problems. The only downside to Audi's is that when something does go wrong it can be pricey and not anyone can work on these cars. If you can look past that then i highly recommend the car. I personally haven't had any problems so far with my B5 A4. Just make sure when your pickin the car to buy that the previous owner took care of it or you might get a few headaches. Things like the timing belt and water pump will have to be changed every 80k or so.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:08 AM

The only thing I can add on top of what's been said is just give the candidate car a good look and carfax. It will be a PITA if you are buying a car that wasn't taken care of in the first place. If it is a certified used, which is what I went with, you'll be fine in that department (though I do wonder who they have checking these things out - my review sheet says "lowered" on it and it's stock sport suspenction with a Votex kit on the sides).

Quick Reply: A4 Reliabilty