Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:05 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 Stalling

Hey anyones help would be great here. I have a 99 1.8t and yesterday it started stalling while it was idle. The car will just shut off. What's weird is that the RPMs will go down to almost no power, surge up, and than balance itself out. Sometimes while driving, it may stutter like its not getting any gas or anything. What you should know is that the car just came out the shop about 3 weeks ago for a transmission overhaul. It had been sitting in the shop for about 6 months before I got enough money to fix the thing. I am just a student. Anyway I thought it could be bad gas, so I added some Fuel Injector cleaner and some additives to take out any water when I filled up. It helped a little bit, it didn't stop as much anymore, but sometimes while idle just sitting in park the RPM's jump around. Today I was able to get to work fine without the car stalling, but when I parked and just let it run, the RPM's jumped around a bit and the car turned itself off. If anyone has any idea why this might be happeing please let me know. Thanks

Old 04-07-2006, 02:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A4 Stalling

Oh yeah I forget to mention that I am only getting 250 miles in the city on a tank of gas. I think I may need a new Fuel Filter.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Site Moderator

fuel filter, maybe fouled plugs, bad O2 sensors, coolant temp sensor... check your air filter too.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear

Gasoline grows an algae-like goo so it sitting for six months with no startups will totally foul stuff up. Like BRRMAN said, change the fuel filter, it is probably full of the crap, then see if that helps. Then do plugs, that is definitely step two. And then o2 sensors.

And definitely run some trustworthy cleaner through your fuel system.

Usually it will mess up your fuel gauge too. Has your gauge been saying full... no empty... no wait...

Old 04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

I am experiencing this same issue with my 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro. I was told that I might need an engine overhaul. I too put the additives in the gas tank. Not a lot of help. My CEL light was on solid for three days, then suddenly went off. I thought the same as you did with the "just a case of bad gas", but this morning, the CEL came back on, and it started acting silly again.

My question, how many miles do you have on your A4, and how tough is it to replace the fuel filter? Isn't it under the gas tank?

Cindie

Old 04-07-2006, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

definately check the things already stated but when you mentioned you had transmission work done i thought of fluid levels. do you have a manual transmission? i think if the clutch is not getting enough hydraulic fluid, stalling could occur.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

I changed the spark plugs, that didn't do much of anything. But I'm thinking it might be a Throttle Body Issue. When it came back from the shop the battery was completely dead. But what is weird is that it worked fine for 3 weeks. Is there any instructions around on how to clean a throttle body?

Old 04-07-2006, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

Someone let me know if this sounds logical. Does anyone think since the problem started suddenly, that it could be the ICM. Is the ICM known to just suddenly stop working?

Old 04-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Site Moderator

change the coolant temp sensor - 5 dollar part. simple diy. worth it to discount the possibility.
ICM would cause bucking and very rough idle.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:00 PM

is the CEL on ?? are there any stored codes ( more information required )

Quick Reply: A4 Stalling