Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 traction Control??

Old 02-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Default A4 traction Control??

Does anyone know if the 1997 A4 1.8T quattro came with Traction control?? If so is it possible to turn it off???

Old 02-12-2007, 07:45 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A4 traction Control??

it does have traction control, no you cant turn it off, wich is a shame, but at least you can beat other cars from the line easier, and corner hard without fear of slipping.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Cant turn it off [&o]If its electronic theres gota be a way??

Old 02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
3rd Gear

we have traction control? I have a 98.5 quattro and I don't have any

Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

akielb , fom station ary, put your car in first gear, preferably in wet, snow or on gravel, rev your engine to 6,000 rpm and hold it there.

let the clutch up fairly quick (dont break anythign though)

does it wheelsping or does it just go ?

if it wheelspins you dont have it, this is unusual, you will likleyfind it just goes, because of the TC.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Babz

Cant turn it off [&o]If its electronic theres gota be a way??
possibly a mod that can be done, but ive neve rheard of it, ide be interested to knwo if there was.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear

inertia that is the dumbest idea ever to do with a stock clutch to "check if you have traction control" it is called a manual read it.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: swift_A4

inertia that is the dumbest idea ever to do with a stock clutch to "check if you have traction control" it is called a manual read it.
give me a break it can handle the launch, itle either spin the tyres or cope with it, for example a dumber thing to do to check if you have TC or not would be to throw your car on its roof and try and run on one of the wheels.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:23 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Inertia

akielb , fom station ary, put your car in first gear, preferably in wet, snow or on gravel, rev your engine to 6,000 rpm and hold it there.

let the clutch up fairly quick (dont break anythign though)

does it wheelsping or does it just go ?

if it wheelspins you dont have it, this is unusual, you will likleyfind it just goes, because of the TC.
Wow - thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard - #1 I dirve a TIP #2 I live in ND so......It snows here. I push on the gas and what do ya know my wheels spin on ice until the quattro pulls me along and I get going.
Every car that I have ever driven with any kind of traction control has had the option to turn it off. All traction control is, is the car applying the brakes to one wheel so that they slow down and don't spin - All of the cars also had a warning light to tell you when this was happening so that you wouldn quit hammering on the gas and not kill your brakes. I don't have this so and I don't feel anything like this happening so I assume that I don't have traction control.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Traction control comes in many forms afaik audis use Differentials not brakes, although im not sure about that.

I own 2 cars, 1 of them is a 92golf VR6 FWD (my abuser)the other is my 97 B5 A4 Quattro 2.8 V6 I dont live in a particularly icey area although its often wet, recently howeve rwe have had soem snow and ice.

My VR6 spins its front wheels all the time, even in just the wet when i rag it, my A4 i can honestly say hasnt spun its wheels even on ice and snow going up hill.

When i have seen my car advertised for sale by others, it often mentions traction control, i guess the quattro system itself is effectivley a form of traction control.

There are definatly cars that exist where you can not turn off traction control, i cant think of an example now but i have comen across them before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A4 traction Control??