Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a4 weight loss

Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 AM
1st Gear
Default a4 weight loss

hey guys ,

i wanted to discuss taking off some weight off our.. . lets face it heavy a4's. i want to hear your suggestions and ideas.

something sensible , we already know gutting is one way.. but wheres the luxury? anyway lets hear it. and no debadging the car doesn't help.... okay well just a little no flaming please :x

i'd like to start out w/ :

- replacing the wheel bolts/nuts with titanium bolts > I know it won't drastically shave off weight but the small things do add up and it is a cheap mod.

- this one is a bit more costly , acrylic windshields. was watching some show and it stated going acrylic or similar materials can save up to 80 pounds.

- cutting off the resonator > i heard its pretty much dead weight. if someone could elaborate more on this.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Default RE: a4 weight loss

carbon fiber body panels. you can pretty much arbon fiber the whole front of your car including the doors. (i know people are thinkin that would look tackey a carbon fiber car, thats why you paint it!!!) extremely light weight wheels will help with power issues. the stocks seats are heavy, replace with racing seats. remove your spare. relocate your battery to the trunk. remove a/c compressor and power steering. carbon fiber drive shaft( i know the 97 had em) carbon fiber axles. light weight rotors. light weight crank pulley. and the last thing i can think of is dump all of your quattro components (save you about 400lbs) but i can't see any one willingly doing that just to save weight

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear

Carbon fiber driveshaft on an audi, why? And i thought that was refuted in another post maybe im crazy.

But firewire, if you want to get serious about this, you can always go on a diet yourself. lol just thinking outside the box

Old 10-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Tech Guru

there is a guy on zine that just shaved i think 40lbs off his car by doing cf doors...... doors weighed like 8lbs compared to the 17 and 22 repectavly
cf hood/trunk
lighter weight wheels, i know factory wheels weigh a hell of a lot more than most aftermarket....... drop wheel size if you wanna stay factory
lighter fuel cell.... get rid of a/c and heating......

are you looking to track your car or take your car and make it faster?
if you wanna keep a factory looking car but just want faster, trade your a4 for an s4..... and don't do 1+, do 1, get you the upgraded stuff then pay for the +1 or like alot of people are saying go w/m or do 1+ and w/m just fon't buy apr's stuff.... not that it is bad, just high priced

Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: khj677turbo

Carbon fiber driveshaft on an audi, why? And i thought that was refuted in another post maybe im crazy.

But firewire, if you want to get serious about this, you can always go on a diet yourself. lol just thinking outside the box
less rotating mass means less loss of power through the drivetrain. carbon fiber drive axle is alot lighter than others. I'm pretty sure it came standard on the 97 could be wrong though

Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

search for jetjockey on www.audizine.com he did a thread titled car **** or something like that... i think he got under 3000 lbs...

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159438

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163517

not worth it for most of us but its just a track car for him...i think the AC is next along with lexan windows

he has some awesome brake cooling mods, oil cooler where the OEM SMIC is, made his own TIP and much more... fastest k04 b6 a4 that ive seen anyway........

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

Weight Loss
I'm finding it hard to give up sweet things for snacks. I would like to know how to go about ignoring my craving for sweet and fattening snacks like chocolate, biscuits, etc?

Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

i got straight pipe exhaust, so i got rid of the resonator, and muffler. together wieghted about 50 pounds. thats a good start

Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 PM
3rd Gear

You could trade up your B6 for a B5 and shave almost 200 LBS. (B5 3241 vs. B6 3406)

Talk to Mike Hood at Ringer Racing. He's a B5 guy, but he might be able to point you towards carbon fiber panels.

Are you trying to be competitive with this Car? What class are you aiming for? Auto-X?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

I am not sure if the A4 B7 2.0TFSi-e (170hp available in Germany 2007) was available in the US/Canada but it came with an Aluminum hood which of course shaved some pounds off. It would easily fit any A4 B7 from 2004-2008. Also if it were possible move the battery from the front to the trunk like in the B8, that would distribute the weight a little better. Replace the spare with a cheapo wheel/tire like the B8. Also a few pounds gone.

I was reading that Audi for their future models plan on losing weight. All of their current offerings are "heavy". This will help emissions and fuel economy as well as boost performance.

Last edited by aetius; 11-27-2010 at 02:25 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a4 weight loss