Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS issue...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
1st Gear
Default ABS issue...

I have searched and searched about this issue I have been having, but no results on how to fix.
My issue is at slow speeds/ stopping the ABS kicks on (LIGHT DOES NOT TURN ON), I have bled my breaks and that was no help. So what I am asking is what are some other ways to diagnose the ABS issue? It seems like people refer to the Control Module, but I really do not feel like chipping out that much coin if it is not going to fix my problem.

Thanks for your time!

Old 11-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Default RE: ABS issue...

do you actually have a problem?? which i doubt, ABS light off = its functional so more explanation required ( is there a problem or do you think there is ) and why

Old 11-03-2006, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I am making my issue up so I can get more post count...

ON A SERIOUS NOTE:
This issue is annoying, I live in the base of the Appalachian Mts. so in other words there is a kick back on the pedal since the ABS engages. I do not know why the light is not coming on, but it is like any other sensor if there is some resistance then the computer will not necessarily detect the sensor's issue. Thus back to my question I am wondering what ways can I diagnose this problem.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Site Moderator

There are discs on the rear rotars that are part of the abs sensor system. Check to be sure that they are still on, are fully pressed into the rotor, free of bebris, and that the actual sensor behind the strut/caliper is clean. Clean it with rubbing alcohol or electronics cleaner.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:53 PM
3rd Gear

I had the same problem except my ABS light came on sometimes. I removed (and destroyed in the process) my right rear sensor and there the problem was... a corroded ABS ring with a tooth taken out of it. This is probably the worst case scenario. I just plugged the ABS sensor hole and clipped the sensor wire until I feel like i want to replace the outer CV joint.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear

Agreed, the first thing you should do is check your ABS sensors. Pop your wheels off and look behind the brake caliper. The sensor is plugged in and will just pull out (no tools necessary). Clean them up nice and hopefully that will take care of the problem. Thats all it was when I had the same exact problem on my car.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:38 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: TDRILL

(no tools necessary)

LOL not for northern cars.... NOTHING would make my sensor in the rear move. I had to drill it out slowly...

Old 11-03-2006, 10:01 PM
4th Gear
Old 11-04-2006, 02:53 AM
1st Gear

well thanks for all the feedback, I talked to the Audi dealership and they told me this is a reaccuring issue. It is VERY common for the ABS control module to fail, esp. on the higher mileage/ older A4's. So I am going to go the approach the dealer told me, they have a rebuild kit for about $500 so that is not too bad. All the conectors look good, the pads and rotors appear to be good, about 60-70% life.
I'll let ya'll know if this fixes the issue.

Thanks for your time.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

I have that same problem too and it doesn't sound like a controller problem, it's probably either the abs speed sensors or the tone ring that's a part of them. I took apart my rotor and checked out my ring the other day and it seemed to be in good shape so I think my problem is due to the sensors but I have yet to replace them.

Quick Reply: ABS issue...