Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Problems - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear
Default ABS Problems - Help Please

All,

The yellow light (ABS I think) and the red flashing light now come on everytime I start the car. Any advice on what that means? Brakes pads, control unit? Have you experienced this before?

Any insight is appreciated

Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: ABS Problems - Help Please

It could be bad sensor. I had the same problem. I have vag-com so I could see what sensor was bad. wihtout it, it is hard to know. I dont know if advance can give you an answer with OBD scanner.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Your ABS module may be bad, it could be a sensor or more than likely its the ABS pump. You can get it checked at the dealership and if it is the module the dealership will tell you it will cost over a grand to fix. There is a company in Idaho that rebuilds the modules and replaces most of the parts with better than OEM parts. Check them out www.modulemaster.com they should be able to to do the rebuild for around $300

Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 AM
2nd Gear

Abs module is the problem usally if its just the sensor the abs light only will come. When the brake light flashes that means there has been lost communications from the controller

Old 11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

this sux, I have the same thing, i changed the pads and put some with the sensor but still abs on and brakes blinking.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear

abs and blinking light is a no communication error with the abs contoller. 99.9% of the time it is your abs module

Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 PM

I am also getting the same light codes, ABS in amber on and flashing BRAKE in red. However sofar this has only been intermitten, I do know that the ABS is not working when the lights are flashing then when they are not on the ABS is working. rbrtech if you say that it is very likely that the ABS module is bad, upon verification at say the stealer, is it necessary to get the module rebuilt from a place like modulemaster.com as B5 SLPR has pointed out? B5 SLPR did this happen to you, and you did the rebuild thing?

Old 11-21-2007, 03:37 PM

Funny that I just saw this. I just put a rebulit module on my 98 a4 2.8 a couple hours ago. All lights off. I figured that it most likely is the abs module because of the amber(abs) and flashing red(brake) light. Sometimes the lights didn't come on until 1/2 hour or so of driving the car, so it really depends, BUT..most of the time it went on immediately when I turned the car on.
Modulemaster, the recommended site is the way to go. They charged me $215 total, for a rebuilt and 2 day shipping option. They also have a video on the website that shows exactly how to take out the module that was extremely helpful. Given that the biggest mechanical endeavor I ever made was possibly taking out and putting in a new alternator on a 86 VW GTI, and it didn't come easy for me, it took hours!!! I recommend replacing it yourself like I did, because the cheapest price you probably will get quoted is at least around $800-900. Thanks everyone on the forum for your help and I hope this helps those with blinking lights

Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 AM
1st Gear

Yea that happened to me, at first the light only came on whenever I would accelerate so I took it to get checked out and it turned out my master cylinder was bad and had to have that replaced. Then about 8 months later the light came back on and stayed on all the time and was blinking as posted before. I had that checked out and it turns out the module was bad. But instead of replacing it or rebuilding it I just took it out. It turns out on the pre-00 modles your tracktion controll is all time but by disconnecting the ABS you disconnect the tracktion contol which is what I wanted to do anyways for better launches and to be able to slide a lil more around the corners.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:45 AM

It IS your ABS Module I will bet my life.The same thing happened to me and I had my module rebuilt and now it is completely fine. Also, search the forum please because there are posts all over the place about your ABS module, light, and sensors. Good luck!

Quick Reply: ABS Problems - Help Please