Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Recharge problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Default AC Recharge problem

I have an Audi A4 1996 Quarto and its low on refrigerant I've looked all over and the only place that it has to charge the AC is through a port that a sensor is connected to. I spent a whole week going from shop to shop to find an adapter and had no luck. A shop wants to charge me over $200, can anyone point me in the direction of getting this AC recharged an alternate way? The port that the sensor connects to is 12mm -1.5 thread.

Last edited by pcr3; 01-01-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: AC Recharge problem

know of a machine shop near you? could probably machine you a threaded adapter for less than $200. however, and I say this every time someone is recharging their a/c, YOUR REFRIGERANT HAD TO GO SOMEWHERE!!!!! so before you recharge it, get a dye test kit and find out where its leaking from. unless you want to refill it every few months. your choice.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:22 PM

have you ever seen those guys who do the fridges in shopswell they can do your car as well hint hint

Old 05-12-2007, 03:20 AM

Thats a good idea, i never even though of that... I can get a different adapter and use a re-threader.

I dont get what your saying avant80@2.6 ... if i know what your thinking, my car doesnt take R-12 it takes the normal AC Refrigerent.

ORIGINAL: nickellis14
know of a machine shop near you? could probably machine you a threaded adapter for less than $200...

Old 05-12-2007, 03:25 AM

A/C is a fridge so dont think garage think fridge engineer/fitter they will probably do the same job for much less as a in the pocket job , I hope you get what I mean now

edit:R12 isn't used for shop fridges they use the same stuff as our cars

Old 05-12-2007, 11:22 AM
4th Gear

I think 1996 cars only have a high pressure valve. The R134a cans must be
connected to the low pressure side with the A/C on.

This is for cars with a low pressure valve.
https://www.audiforums.com/m_531004/tm.htm

Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 PM
3rd Gear

has Any of you have ac diagram for b5? my ac is not working I heard "psss" sound when I was changing tranny oil last week but never tought was a/c. motor kicks but does not blow cold air. it is somewhere around rear of passanger side front tire.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:17 PM
4th Gear

for some reason the early B5's had only a high side(or atleast i think never found a low side) the sensor is used to control the auto climate control. that really should be the low side but its a weird fitting,on my last audi,audi f-ed me over and said they put in refrigerent but didnt when i went to get it serviced by them becuase the sensor was bad. what i did was i bought a R-134 fitting and just JBweled it on. for good measure i used a lot and went thorugh 3 16oz cans of refrigerent. to ensire there was no leak. after that i cut the sensor wires and tied them together so the Auto climate wouldnt thorugh a fit and shut off the compressor. and voila i had air conditioning for 3 days until a a$$ wnet into my pass door at 50mph. this worked for me but do it at your own risk since the AC has alot of pressure. also while you have the system discharged and open might as well change or clean out the orafice.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

My 96 only has a high pressure port also. I looked all over for a low side but theres not one on it. So I did what I had to and charged through the high side with liquid. Works fine now and very cold. The molecules of R134 are much smaller than the old R-12 thats why the system loses it so easily. 134 will leak where 12 would never come out. Any good refrigation man should be able to charge through the high side for you. Don't try this yourself unless you know what your doing. It is Dangerous !!!! Refrigators and House Central air conditioners use R-22 for refrigerant.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Site Moderator

This is how you connect the a/c system without a low pressure port.

A/C service station, connecting with air conditioning adapter set -V.A.G 1786- to refrigerant circuit

A-
Connection with valve (small valve insert) on low-pressure side of refrigerant circuit

B-
Adapter with union nut -V.A.G /1-

C-
Commercially available charging hose (short version with 5/8" thread on each end)

D-
Adapter with service connection -V.A.G /2- (for connection of quick-release coupling of A/C service station -E-)
Note[/align]

t
Assemble adapter and charging hose as shown and connect first to connection with valve -A-.

t
Adapter with union nut -V.A.G /1- is only to be used at connections with “small” valve insert (standard for connection with valve for A/C Refrigerant Low Pressure Switch -F73- and also gradually introduced as of 10.94 at compressor).

t
Instead of adapter with union nut -V.A.G /1-, use can also be made of adapter -V.A.G /10- (remove valve from adapter -V.A.G /10- or install valve opener in charging hose).

Quick Reply: AC Recharge problem