Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accelleration Lag TIme w/Tiptronic etc...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 08:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Accelleration Lag TIme w/Tiptronic etc...

I figured I would carry this topic over to a different post, as it is not Turbo related- I hope...

Backstory:
Just bought a nice looking, A4 1.8T Q, and I used to own a 1988 saab 900 Turbo. The granted, the saab was a bit sluggish off the line, but I payed $1000 for it, and it had 230,000 miles on it.
Now....
I have been trying to figure out the feel and accelleration time ofmy '02 A4 1.8T etc. It does accelerate fairly well, and smoothly.

Still, I am surprised at both the lagtime off the line, and the lack of "extra" kick from the Turbo(my other post talks about the turbo part).

Lagtime scenario:
If I were in my car at a dead stop, and an out of control bus, car or a falling tree, or godknows what were headed right for me, and my only chance was to hit the gas to get out of harms way, the approaching object would definitely smash into me. I would be unable to pull away in time.

I have never experienced this with any of the other 5 or so, cars I have owned.

Recently, I rented a chevy aveo because they didn't have anything decent, and I m sorry to say that the Aveo would probably do a better job the first 50 feet.After that, its a different story.

Any thoughts on this? What's the downside of chipping it?

Old 08-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Accelleration Lag TIme w/Tiptronic etc...

u have the same car as me
u kno are car wieghts about 3600 pounds rite
awd drive and an auto tranny u kno
are cars are shiit slow in stock form
170hp/166tq not alot to move 3600 pounds
and the lag befor 2500rpm blah

even with a chip ur not gonna get rid of that lag but you will have way more mid and high end power
theres APR, GIAC, but i like REVO
www.goapr.com
www.giacusa.com
www.ecodetuning.com

the down side is the price (most are about 500.00) but it is the most bang for the buck the only thing that pissing me of is your not payin for anything physicl its just a ECU reflash but im sure we are paying for the time and research put into finding the program BLAH[:@].
wit the chip u also need to upgrader your DV which will cost from 30 to 150

the chip will void your warrenty on the car unless u pay a lil extra for their feature that hides the chip from the dealer

Old 08-29-2005, 09:05 PM
3rd Gear

Didnt you drive the car before you bought it ?
It is not a fast car. Especially with the auto trans . I would know , I have one too.
I went thru the same thing you are going thru. Then I chipped it with the 93 octane flash from APR and I am much happier.
The car now pulls great from a roll on a cool day. Although the lag with always be there. The turbo on the A4 spools around 2500RPM.
A manual trans helps with the lag.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:21 PM
2nd Gear

Didnt we answer your ? on the other damn thread!? jeeeezzzzzz

Old 08-29-2005, 09:34 PM
18T
4th Gear

shouldve bought a manual. the stock tip lags like a bitch and is gay.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear

im so glad i have a manual. i can get my 1.8t gettin up fast pretty damn quick and its stock too.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

yeah man. we did try to answer you the best we could in the other thread. my answer isn't going to change here.

and if you think tip is gay...try driving stop and go all the time in new york and see how much you enjoy manual...

i love tip. it is fast and it is convenient.

yeah, a4s are slugs off the line. but we're always riding in style, so...

Old 08-29-2005, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: toaster

yeah, a4s are slugs off the line. but we're always riding in style, so...

amen brother!!

Old 08-30-2005, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear

For the love of god guys he's not talkin about turbo lag. He's sayin when at a dead stop the car takes a second to respond when hittin the gas. It's normal. My car doesn't do it but I have noticed this with many b6's I've driven. Frank, how many topics are you gonna post about the same thing? There's 3 right now.
ORIGINAL: Dave666

Although the lag with always be there. The turbo on the A4 spools around 2500RPM.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:40 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: flyinb501

For the love of god guys he's not talkin about turbo lag. He's sayin when at a dead stop the car takes a second to respond when hittin the gas. It's normal. My car doesn't do it but I have noticed this with many b6's I've driven. Frank, how many topics are you gonna post about the same thing? There's 3 right now.
ORIGINAL: Dave666

Although the lag with always be there. The turbo on the A4 spools around 2500RPM.

What would be different about your chipped 1.8t TIP B5 from a chipped 1.8t TIP B6 ?

Quick Reply: Accelleration Lag TIme w/Tiptronic etc...