Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice from any 1.8 Turbo gurus

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 05:28 AM
Default Advice from any 1.8 Turbo gurus

Hi Guys,

I bought a 2000 quattro a little over 3 months ago until the turbo collapsed. It is totally stock (132 kW) 1.8 T and I was quite happy with the performance and handling etc. Since it was under warranty (bought from a car dealer) the turbo repair was covered. I had the car back about twenty minutes (and the car was going really well, perhaps slightly better than original) before the turbo blew again. As it turns out the oil feed was partially blocked and probably lead to the destruction of both units.

The first one was my unit that had been sent away and reconditioned, the second was a replacement. However when recieving the car back it is noticibly down on power from original, its still boosting a bit but essentially there is a big turbo lag and hardly any turbo kick when it came. The mechanic told me this was due to the improved oil flow 'slowing the unit'. This sounds like rubbish to me - what do you guys think. I don't have much confidence in these guys but I what to complain knowing what is likely to be the problem. I really feel so disappointed in the whole situtation, its taken three weeks to get back a substandard car ! [&o]

The replacement compressor is a new looking Turbo International Type K03 with a serial and part number tag (1-02168) but these do not seem to match anything on the Turbo international site. The turbine (casing) also looks new and marked KKK. I kind of suspect that this is a low pressure unit relative to the original but if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

Cheers.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:58 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Advice from any 1.8 Turbo gurus

sounds like you got a stock kkk k03 on your hands i gues i dont understand the question

Old 05-06-2006, 06:12 AM

Hi Badluckaudi and thanks for your post.

To try and clarify.......

I would expect replacing a used turbo with a new one would get the same performance or better from the same engine. It was replaced (first time) and went a bit better. The second time it was replaced it now noticibly down on power/boost (from the original) and I was told this is because it now has proper oil pressure to the turbo. Sounds like bunk to me, what do you think ? So thats one question.

Because the mechanic had to pay out of thier own pocket for the second turbo I personally think I have been given a cheaper/lower pressure compressor than stock (if possible). But I am not sure how to prove this. The pre-98 A4 came with a 121 kW engine and the post 98s came with a 132 kW 1.8T engine and as far as I have read this is entirely due to a higher pressure turbo unit. Any thoughts if this is the likely cause or should I be looking for something else ? Second question.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:02 AM
5th Gear

i think either way the motor was stock with a k03 by kkk and i dont really think anything else will fit on there unless he went bigger which i doubt, as for the performance issues id make sure he hooked everything up right you should see a loss of power with a new turbo